First Car & Insurance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been holding off learning to drive and so forth due to university and being unable to afford it but having since finished and gaining a "proper" job I'm pretty much required to learn how to drive.

I was wondering if anyone would be able to suggest any particular cars that suit a new driver. Hopefully one that isn't too expensive to run / insure and does the job.

Also my job will involve me visiting construction sites quite often. Will this do anything to increase the cost of insurance?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Well the usual applies.

Small cheap cars always cheapest to insure. FORD KA, FIAT CINQ, CORSA, 106 (small engines) saxos...etc etc.. pick what u like most.

All have low running costs as easy on fuel and cosumables, pads, filters, tires etc..

The things that keep insurance cheap are. annual milage, where its parked. age of driver and how many points. years driving too. Your postcode matters too as some are higher rated for theft etc..

If u can keep the milage down and park it off the road.garage again better. always better if not used for work but in your case what u need it for.

different jobs again make insurance cheaper but not really worth changing job to get a better quote!

Im in worst case sceneario- Import, 25, car is group 20, no garage. But do have 6 years no claims and no points and have been driving similar fast cars for a few years..and my age is getting better every year!

If you're looking for an inexpensive car, the Japanese ones are generally much more reliable than their European rivals. Fashionable cars like Golfs or other hot hatches are expensive as people are willing to pay extra for the prestige. Big cars can be cheap to buy but expensive to run.

Unexciting cars like family runarounds are the best value.

If buying a used car make sure it has galvanised bodywork as cars rust otherwise, and the holes make them scruffy and unsafe. Rust is broadly speaking unrepairable. Mechanical faults can be repaired but may not be worth the cost.

Get a Ford festa 1.1 cheap to run and insure, and you can get parts from a salvage yard. :LOL:

Good luck and happy motoring ;) ps DON'T FORGET SPEED KILLS so don't.

Sponsored Links
Hi Bensoir,most of the recommended cars are fine.As you have just finished uni,I assume you are about 21ish,and of course have never insured a car.If you have had a twist'n go scooter at all, mention it to insurers because some will take it into account when working out the premium.The running costs are negligable on a small corsa or saxo compared to the insurance.If you are a man,expect about £1000 for your first premium and £200 ish less if a young lady. Shop around for quotes,internet purchases usually less cost.

I highly recommend confused.com - it is a fantastic site. dont get put off by the amount of data you have to give them, the number of quotes it gave me was unbelievable!

And for cheap motoring, its diesel everytime! ;) Solid as a rock. Modern diesels are uber-reliable and can be driven into the ground. So I am lead to believe. :LOL:

bensoir take lessons, then ask your instructor about passplus which is a course of slightly more advanced driving than required for a test. This will give you a huge discount on your first insurance as well as improve your driving skills, When you look at cars ask about the insurance group the car is in as this reflects the premium to be paid. Smaller engined cars are also cheaper to tax.

naebothernoo said:
bensoir take lessons, then ask your instructor about passplus which is a course of slightly more advanced driving than required for a test. This will give you a huge discount on your first insurance as well as improve your driving skills, When you look at cars ask about the insurance group the car is in as this reflects the premium to be paid. Smaller engined cars are also cheaper to tax.
I agree, passplus is a good idea, it does increase awareness of different types of driving. I went from Hull to Barnsley to Sheffield city centre on my 6 hours of passplus, in 3 sessions. It gave me valuable tips. I had an ex-traffic cop for my pass plus, kept telling me to speed up "i did this corner at 90 once!" there i was doing 40 on a 60 road lol.

as for a huge discount, not nessecarily, you have to look for insurers that support the scheme.

diesel cars also will have lower insurance premiums, as they are slower "apparently" lol. ;) (not the way i drive!!) :LOL:

Definitely get a diesel ....a 2 owner full Service History Astra Merit on a P plate with 116k miles MOT in May.......Tax to Aug. should be half a £1k..is that a monkey :?: ..........£500 ....guess who`s selling one :LOL: :LOL:

Many thanks, I've been looking into the cars recommended and will hopefully take the driving plus course.

As for Diesel cars, can you recommend any others apart from the Astra Merit?

I have to say so far I'm quite taken with the Polo. I'm unsure exactly why though, they seem to be relatively cheap on the Autotrader website too.

Loads of things to consider here! All diesels are good for mpg of course. Can recommend the 1.9TDI Polo, my wife had one for a while.

If you are after cheap motoring though, there are some bargains to be had on the likes of Vectra, Laguna, Mondeo as they're the ones used for company cars, plus there will be lots of toys and comfortable motorway driving.

Can also highly recommend the latest version of the Megane. I've got one of the 225's, but the diesels are good, and the 1.4 is pretty well specced, if a little on the slower side.

MrTurner said:
Loads of things to consider here! All diesels are good for mpg of course. Can recommend the 1.9TDI Polo, my wife had one for a while.

If you are after cheap motoring though, there are some bargains to be had on the likes of Vectra, Laguna, Mondeo as they're the ones used for company cars, plus there will be lots of toys and comfortable motorway driving.

Can also highly recommend the latest version of the Megane. I've got one of the 225's, but the diesels are good, and the 1.4 is pretty well specced, if a little on the slower side.
Did you consider the OP before you made this post? He's looking for a small car. NOT a mondeo, laguna or vectra. And he wants an economical, cheap to run and insure car. NOT a 1.9TDI!

Crafty said:
MrTurner said:

Did you consider the OP before you made this post? He's looking for a small car. NOT a mondeo, laguna or vectra. And he wants an economical, cheap to run and insure car. NOT a 1.9TDI!
Who are you to flame me so soon after I started posting??? A low post count does not mean I have a lack of knowledge!

The OP states not too expensive to run and insure, can't see a mention of a small car?

If you can buy a Vectra for £1500 in great condition, that might offset the expense of buying/running say a 1.4 Fiesta bought at £3k. Like I said, there is so much to consider, and why exactly is a 1.9 TDI so expensive? It will be more than a 1.3 petrol, but then you'll get nearer to 60mpg with plenty of torque.

I suggest you flame Bensoir for not providing more specific details of his requirements than me for trying to be freindly and helpful. Lovely freindly site we have here, thanks for the welcome.

Sponsored Links
Back