First drill!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI

Looking at getting our first drill! Went to nearest large B&Q and asked for advice - may as well have asked for a map of the moon.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Something that can drill / screw, mainly into woodwork, take out rusty screws and go other basic domestic DIY drilling etc

Looking at something around £50-70.

Also can drills, with the right attachment, be used to sand or remove paint on metal, or is a separate, more powerful tool needed for that?

Grateful for all advise & toll recommendations!

Sponsored Links
You can get wire brush attachments for getting rust or paint off of metal, butfor large areas or lots of detailing use a chemical stripper or get the metal item gritblasted, as these wire brushes don't last that long.

What have you got to get the paint off of?

For your budget you are strictly in diy tool range, consider Black & Decker or Green Bosch if you're thinking cordless. or spend a little extra for Ryobi or Makita, check the cordless recommendation thread just down the page in this (tools&materials) section.

Get Two drills? and cover all eventualities.

A lot of people will say get a corded drill as your first, you can get a decent Bosch or Ryobi impact drill for 50 notes. Browse the screwfix or toolstation websites. Wickes have got a corded hitachi hammer for £50 too.

I got a Green Bosch cordless for about £50 that's lasted me for years of pretty heavy DIY, I'd recommend it for any screwdriving or drilling into wood etc. Look out for one with the autolock keyless chuck, it means you can change the bit one handed and comes in really handy when swapping between drill and driver. The cheaper ones have a standard two-handed keyless chuck, which looks very similar but is not as easy to use.
Forget about using a £50 cordless to drill brick though, you'll need to get a cheap mains hammer drill for that.

I've got a Worx cordless drill (£50ish from Argos). Despite some negative reviews of it on here, it's held up fine to quite a few hefty diy jobs. Quite surprised by the amount of grunt it has when I used it for screwing in coach screws.

Comes with 2 batteries and has 2 gears (one for screwdriving and one for drilling).

Agree that most cordless's are not up to much when it comes to drilling brick. Get yourself a corded SDS if you're planning any beefy wall drilling. I've had a Black & Decker SDS rotary stop jobbie for a couple of years. Used it to take down a small wall as well as countless hole drillings. Mine was £60 from Argos. Comes with a bunch of drill bits and chisels.

:D

Sponsored Links
don't be tempted by b&qs own brand cordless, I borrowed my old mans the other day because my charger had broken down. even tho it looked like a drill, it didn't work anything like a drill should. If you've got £50-£70 go for corded, if you've got £100 get ryobi, or £250 milwaukee

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back