First ever stud wall does it look ok? Garage Conversion.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I made a start the weekend and got down the 2x2 floor with Chipboard on top. Do I need to do anything else to the chipboard eg spray glue over the joins or expansion foam anywhere?

I also starting the stud wall on the back wall. Does this look ok so far ?

Picture007.jpg

Picture008.jpg

am not going to be able to fit the studs every 400mm up to the wall so if I need to make a middle one say 300mm will that be a problem, as long as there is one up tight at the end of the wall and it is in the middle of the plasterboard sheet.

Once the back wall is done where do I start the stud on the left wall ( Breeze Block ) is that 400mm from the corner. Or do I need one in the corner. I am a bit confused about this part. I am going to use 1200mm plasterboard.

Picture009.jpg

Thanks for the help. Go easy on me first time I have ever done this.

Sponsored Links
I'm far from an expert but from my own DIY projects I can say that the guidance about laying out your studs is so that the ends of the plasterboard are supported by the stud underneath.

So if you're using 1200mm boards then studs every 400mm allow you to screw in at 4 points across the boards (0, 400, 800, 1200) and crucially the ends of the board align with a stud.

If you wanted, you could have studs every 300 but you'd be screwing in at 5 points per 1200 board.

You can deviate from the guidance if it's necessary to have a stud line up with something that is going to hung from the wall and you want to be able to screw through the board into the stud for extra support. Just use common sense so that the end of the board is supported and a few places in between the ends.

What you don't want is for the end of a board to be unsupported.

Hi vallum
Just seen your post , have you finished stud walls? I have a couple of observations/ point to make.

Sponsored Links
probably too late but you only need to stud every 600mm (e.g. 3 points across the board. The only reason to stud at 400 or 300 centres would be to make the wall more rigid eg if it is a bathroom wall that is going to be tiled.

I spend £100k's on partitions every year and every wall has always been 600mm centres unless tiled.

As i said it is probalby too late but thought i would chip in if you have any more to do. will save you time and money

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back