First post, apologies if my electrical terms aren’t quite correct!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I would be grateful of some advice please. Just purchased a cordless Dyson (very good bit of kit) but it needs charging a lot!

I have no power sockets where its hanging on the wall, but I do have a fused switched from a ring mains feeding an oil boiler (circled in red).

Capture.PNG

My question is can I add another cable coming out of the existing fused switch to run it to a double socket to just charge the Dyson (with the boiler connection still working) please?

Many thanks for reading and hopefully pointing me in the right direction.

Sponsored Links
I think the question your gonna get asked may be "whats feeding the fused switch?"
i.e. is it a spur on the ring or on it's own radial, its own MCB etc. ?

ISTR that after the fuse whatever you add will still be protected by the same fuse however if you add a double socket then whats to stop someone else plugging something else in?

Hi Mattylad,

Thanks for the quick reply. I have a ring mains feeding the existing fused switch to the oil boiler. This ring mains is to kitchen sockets and lounge sockets.

I can change the new double socket to a single for the Dyson. Can I add another wire from this a single socket, therefore two wires from this fused switch to the boiler as normal and another to the new socket?

Thanks again.

The LAP range of grid switch stuff sold be screwfix will allow a double socket box with a fuse switch and socket, or you can get duel socket box which will allow two units so standard socket and FCU together.

But the main point is what feeds the existing FCU, seems likely it feed the central heating, so on the consumer unit what trip causes central heating to stop working?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the possible solutions, the feed is B32 amp to the existing FCU on a ring

Hi All,

I would be grateful of some advice please. Just purchased a cordless Dyson (very good bit of kit) but it needs charging a lot!

I have no power sockets where its hanging on the wall, but I do have a fused switched from a ring mains feeding an oil boiler (circled in red).

View attachment 182835

My question is can I add another cable coming out of the existing fused switch to run it to a double socket to just charge the Dyson (with the boiler connection still working) please?

Many thanks for reading and hopefully pointing me in the right direction.
Several options.
1, yes you can.
2, if the ring appears at the FCU, the additional socket can be added as a spur [ie 2 cables on the live side] - but you must checkit is the ring and not a second spur!
3, replace the FCU with your double socket and plug the boiler into one side.

EDIT: sorry I see similar posts already, I must remember to read more before I post

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back