First they'll give us the chicken...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Government ready to open British markets to chlorinated chicken for US trade deal

"The government is set to open British markets to food produced to lower US welfare standards as part of its planned trade deal with Donald Trump.

Downing Street on Thursday refused to stand by an earlier pledge to keep so-called “chlorinated chicken” off UK shelves, in the first sign of the government folding under pressure from American trade negotiators.

Ministers are reportedly considering letting in products like chlorinated chicken and hormone-fed beef into British supermarkets"

Didn't they deny this would happen not so long ago?

Linky Linky

So how much do you think the pledges on not selling off the NHS are worth?

Sponsored Links
Government ready to open British markets to chlorinated chicken for US trade deal

"The government is set to open British markets to food produced to lower US welfare standards as part of its planned trade deal with Donald Trump.

Downing Street on Thursday refused to stand by an earlier pledge to keep so-called “chlorinated chicken” off UK shelves, in the first sign of the government folding under pressure from American trade negotiators.

Ministers are reportedly considering letting in products like chlorinated chicken and hormone-fed beef into British supermarkets"

Linky Linky

So how much do you think the pledges on not selling off the NHS are worth?

Your link doesn't back up your assertion?

Sponsored Links

I remember Johnson saying we would 'follow the science, not mumbo jumbo regulations' -which is bluster speak for -we will fudge the science and allow the chicken.

"Ministers are said to be open to giving access to the controversial US food products, that also include hormone-fed beef and crops treated with 82 different pesticides banned in the EU, but applying tariffs on them to protect UK-based farmers from competition.

Under the so-called “dual tariff” system being looked at, American agribusiness would be allowed to sell goods in the UK even if they were not complying with the same production standards as British farmers – as long as they paid the tariff.

Some ministers, such as free-marketer Liz Truss, want to go further, the Daily Telegraph reports – and gradually reduce these tariffs to zero over 10 years"

As always...

Slowly slowly, catchee monkey!

“All of their promises on food standards, environmental protections and the NHS are meaningless without the necessary parliamentary scrutiny to hold them to account...

The desperation of the Conservative government to get whatever deals they can at whatever cost only further shows how much they have reduced our standing on the world stage.”

That's brexit for you!

Let's say Sainsburys Tesco asda and Morrison refuse to buy the chlorinated chicken and friends.
Then what happens. Will they be forced to buy and will it be forced down our throats.

Will we not know what we are eating?

The chicken you already eat spent its short life ( a few months) being pumped full of chemicals and force fed for maximum production.
Under current eu welfare guide lines.

The chicken you already eat spent its short life ( a few months) being pumped full of chemicals and force fed for maximum production.
Under current eu welfare guide lines.
At present you can choose not to eat these type of chicken.

The US as part of the trade deal are lobbying against food labeling because they view "the introduction of food source labels as harmful"!

But chicken is just the tip of the iceberg.

GM based foodstuffs will become commonplace, but you won't know when you're eating them - because they view "the introduction of food source labels as harmful"!

The US has also “pressed the UK to move away from current EU approach on generic terms”
In other words they want to sell us 'their' Cornish pasties and Stilton cheese.

After a while it'll be goodbye UK farmers because they won't be able to compete on price.
Although I won't shed a tear for them personally as they were the turkeys that voted for christmas!

Let's say Sainsburys Tesco asda and Morrison refuse to buy the chlorinated chicken and friends.
Then what happens. Will they be forced to buy and will it be forced down our throats.

thats a well won argument.

Sadly people gravitate to the lowest regulatory standard -as thats the cheapest.
That is why we have regulations -to set a minimum standard
And the argument is not just about food safety it is about animal welfare, mostly about animal welfare.

Its ironic that people who voted for brexit, which was to a large extent about 'taking back control' -are busy defending a clear loss of control.

I remember my dad saying it. He couldn’t have been the only one.

Hey, now you’re back online, have you found that quote you attributed to me - you know, the one where you told everybody that I said "Black families are all thieves"? I can’t find it anywhere. You disappeared when I asked you the other night - did you forget to answer?

At present you can choose not to eat these type of chicken.

The US as part of the trade deal are lobbying against food labeling because they view "the introduction of food source labels as harmful"!

Simples - The US sourced chicken can be sold without labeling, however we should ensure any UK sourced chicken has the Union Flag. The UK consumer then has an informed choice.

Sponsored Links
Back