First Time Immersion Heater Installation - need help & t

H

hallmark1973

Hello all, bear in mind I am clueless on the subject of plumbing and electrics, any pointers no matter how small will be appreciated.

My current means of hot water is via a gas back boiler which heats up an insulated copper tank situated in the bathroom upstairs. I want to add an immersion heater to the system as a separate means of heating the water up and would greatly appreciate someone helping me sort out a list of all the parts and materials and tools I would need to accomplish this. Money is tight and I would like to do as much of the basic groundwork as I can myself before calling someone out, even if its just having everthing laid out ready.

One of my initial concerns is which immersion heater to buy to fit into the tank, am I right in thinking they are a universal fit? In one of my photos I have put a £1 coin on the cap of my tank for scale. As far as controlling the immersion heater goes, I would be happy with just a manual on/off (not bothered about timers and programmes), would this be called an isolation switch?

Screwfix and B&Q are my nearest ports of call. All pointers and help appreciated, many thanks, Mark.

GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
As I understand the Electrical regulations, if you already have an Immersion Heater circuit from the Consumer Unit to a fused spur box in the airing cupboard, you can fit an immersion heater (replacement) however if you have to install a new circuit from the Consumer Unit this can only be done by a qualified electrican and requires certification.
If this is the case I would imagine the electrican would want to supply all materials.

I would indeed need a new circuit installed from the consumer unit (bottom of the stairs) to the airing cupboard, this is to be a first time installation. Thanks for suggesting the electrician would want to supply all of the materials, that would make things easier, but I suspect I might still have to at least provide the immersion heater, are they a generic fit? (Once that cap in the pic has been removed the hole looks like it would be quite large).

Leave it all to the Electrician, he will want the Trade Discount on all materials.

If you provide the materials that would invalidate his guarantee.

Sponsored Links
getting that plug ( 2. 1/4 inch BSP) out of the thin copper cylinder is the biggest problem . If you employ an electrician , get it signed in blood that if he damages the tank he will replace it free ! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back