Fischer future heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of my customers is looking at changing storage heaters to these

http://www.fischerfutureheat.com/electric-heaters/electric-storage-heaters/

which look like a lightweight storage heater to me, the property is a holiday let and they want to control the heating from their home, as it stands there are three S/Hs running pretty much flat out from Oct to May whether the place is occupied or not.

Has any one any experience wth these

Sponsored Links
No, but they have the extra advantage of being very expensive. This enables both the homeowner and the saleman to experience a warm glow of satisfaction.

As you know, all electric heaters are equally efficient. One kWh of electricity in, one 1kWh of heat out. Paying for an expensive heater doesn't change that.

If your client is fool enough to leave the heaters set to max even when the residence is unoccupied, I see no hope for them.

Have a frost stat that bring the heaters on if the weather gets cold enopugh to cause damage.

Have motion sensors that enable the heaters to operate if people have been moving around in the past 24 hours.

Have a clock that enables the heaters for a few hours on the morning of change over day so the house is warm when the next set of holiday makers arrive.

I never saw a price on them but yes they will be expensive, as the property is in Cumbria and they live in that there London switching heaters down is not an option, I am looking at a lightwave system for them to control immersion and heating from home, the S/Rs can be switched on or off remotely so as long as a few doors are left open by the cleaner one heater could be left on during vacancies.

By the way John they are a long way from being fools, owning a successful portfolio of holiday lets, just not familiar with the ins and outs of electrickery

Sponsored Links
which look like a lightweight storage heater to me
Despite their name, they do not operate in the same way as storage heaters.
Storage heaters use cheap electricity at night to heat up, and release the heat during the day.
Those Fischer efforts can be switched on/off at any time, and use the far more expensive day rate electricity. They may store some heat in the core, but that is no different to an oil filled radiator which will remain hot for a while after it is switched off.

I am looking at a lightwave system for them to control immersion and heating from home
You don't need new heaters for that - just a suitable controller and a contactor to switch the power to the heaters.

With storage heaters you will be heating the building for the whole day whether needed or not. If heat is only needed for short periods such as in the early morning or evening with the place largely unoccupied in the day, then instant types of heating may be more suitable, so it can be switched on only when heat is required.
However any electric convector, fan, oil filled etc. heater will do that, the majority of which are 10 times cheaper than the Fischer and similar products.

If the storage heaters are removed and it then becomes necessary to heat the place for most or all of the day, using other types of electric heater will cost significantly more to run, and it will be too late to go back to the storage heaters.

My plan at the moment is to retain the storage heaters and wire a lightwave relay in each circuit, for the immersion a lightwave heater switch with a boost button should sort that, not total control but better than leaving everything on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back