Storage heaters are costing a fortune

Have you answered any of the questions you have been asked which might help us advise you?

Aren't storage heaters good offices as they warm in the morning and some on afternoon.
Possibly.
They might heat up again in the afternoon. Do we know what yours does?

I need my flat warm in the morning and evening. Not afternoon
There you go. Half way there.

Sponsored Links
I'll try to get more info. One heater (one in bedroom) is smaller than lounge one. I just thought heaters which could be turned on when needed would be more economical.
It depends on one's circumstances and requirements, but for most people that would not be the case.

The issue is that, with E7, daytime electricity costs about 2.5 times more than night-time. Hence, what it would cost you to heat the storage heaters continuously for the 7 cheap-rate hours would only give you the same amount of heat for about 2.8 hours during the non-cheap ('daytime') period.

Kind Regards, John

Put everything on next post

Last edited:
DSC_0072.JPG
DSC_0070.JPG
DSC_0069.JPG
DSC_0068.JPG
DSC_0067.JPG
15501091503591932757415.jpg

Was previously with British Gas now with Ebico. The heater is a Greda. Model number - 79055B. The smaller heater is a Greda model number 79045B

Sponsored Links
your old bill shows only estimated usage.

Please provide some recent Actual usage, relating to the period when you feel the cost is excessive.

Was previously with British Gas now with Ebico. The heater is a Greda. Model number - 79055B. The smaller heater is a Greda model number 79045B
Thanks..

That bill is only an estimated one, so is of little value - but, even as it is, I'm not totally sure how it fits in with what you've been saying previously. IF the storage heaters are only taking power at night (cheap) rate, then that estimated bill says that they cost (at most, if nothing else was using electricity at night) £47.69+VAT for 76 days - which is about £19.09+VAT per month. That's about £20.04 per month (including VAT), which is very different from the £100/month you mentioned.

Even the entire bill for estimated electricity use during that period is only £104.63+VAT for 76 days, which equates to about £43.97 (including VAT) per month.

Are bills you've had based on real (rather than estimated) readings similar in size to this one?

When and how is your water heated - is that (exclusively or primarily) also using night-time electricity?

Kind Regards, John

Thanks..

That bill is only an estimated one, so is of little value - but, even as it is, I'm not totally sure how it fits in with what you've been saying previously. IF the storage heaters are only taking power at night (cheap) rate, then that estimated bill says that they cost (at most, if nothing else was using electricity at night) £47.69+VAT for 76 days - which is about £19.09+VAT per month. That's about £20.04 per month (including VAT), which is very different from the £100/month you mentioned.

Even the entire bill for estimated electricity use during that period is only £104.63+VAT for 76 days, which equates to about £43.97 (including VAT) per month.

Are bills you've had based on real (rather than estimated) readings similar in size to this one?

When and how is your water heated - is that (exclusively or primarily) also using night-time electricity?

Kind Regards, John
Yes at night. I set timer at between 2-4

Yes at night. I set timer at between 2-4
Fair enough.

If that estimated bill is even remotely correct (which, of course, it might not be), then I would have thought that a total bill of about £44 per month (for March-May) for an all-electric flat was pretty reasonable.

As has been said, we really need to see some some bills based on real, not estimated, meter readings.when you can get hold of them.

What is the amount of your monthly Direct Debit.

Kind Regards, John

Fair enough.

If that estimated bill is even remotely correct (which, of course, it might not be), then I would have thought that a total bill of about £44 per month (for March-May) for an all-electric flat was pretty reasonable.

As has been said, we really need to see some some bills based on real, not estimated, meter readings.when you can get hold of them.

What is the amount of your monthly Direct Debit.

Kind Regards, John
£90 a month

£90 a month
Well, if that estimated bill (at a time of year when you were probably using the heating) is anything like correct (which, admittedly, it may not be), then £90 per month over a whole year would be way too much.

As has been said, we need to see some figures from 'real bills' (based on actual, not estimated, readings) and/or need you to tell us what your meter readings are now (which surely should be easy?).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back