Storage heaters are costing a fortune

Got dual tariffs. 70% of the electricity is used at night with the cheap rate. That's why I concluded it was the storage heaters costing money and that's yearly figure. They're turned off in the summer . So in the winter they're probably using 80% of my electricity.
In addition to the information you've already been asked for, can you tell us how many storage heaters you have, and, if possible what power each one is (2 kW, 2.55 kW, 3 kW, 3.4 kW or whatever)?

In an attempt to put things into some perspective ... I don't know if they typically remain 'on' continuously for the 7 cheap-rate hours (they might if run on their 'maximum' setting {if it has variable input settings}, but probably not on lower settings) but, if they did, then, for example, a 3 kW one would use 21 kWh per day - which, at the E& cheap rate I'm currently paying (7.844p per kWh), that would amount to about £1.65 per day - i.e. roughly £50 per storage heater per month.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Well they cannot be connected to the E7 tariff, and are also close to 100% efficient, so will cost more to run.
I think we probably need to get clarification as to what the OP means by "oil heaters" in relation to his 1-bedroom flat.

Kind Regards, John

you get 1kW of heat from them for every 1kW of electricity you pay for.
You could usefully brush up on units.

(Unless you consider a heat pump which the makers claim can be up to 300% efficient, and so you get 3kW of heat for 1kW of electricity, but that's another story)
Do you doubt those claims?

Regardless of who makes it, a 2kW heater will cost twice as much to run as a 1kW heater
Not if you run it for less time than the 1kW one.

but give out twice as much heat.
But for how long?

Well they cannot be connected to the E7 tariff
Of course they can. They have no understanding of dual-rate tariffs, and will happily heat up no matter what time it is, or what the electricity price is at that time.

Of course they can. They have no understanding of dual-rate tariffs, and will happily heat up no matter what time it is, or what the electricity price is at that time.
Hmmm. As I wrote...
I think we probably need to get clarification as to what the OP means by "oil heaters" in relation to his 1-bedroom flat.

You know fully well what I meant.
Yes, based on the assumption you were presumably making. That very probably was a correct assumption - but only on the basis of context. In terms of 'what was actually written', then, given what you (presumably) understand to be the meaning of phrases like "gas heater", "paraffin heater", "solid fuel heater" etc., what would you expect "oil heater" to mean?

Yes, based on the assumption you were presumably making. That very probably was a correct assumption - but only on the basis of context. In terms of 'what was actually written', then, given what you (presumably) understand to be the meaning of phrases like "gas heater", "paraffin heater", "solid fuel heater" etc., what would you expect "oil heater" to mean?

In the context of it being an electric only flat, I assumed an oil filled electric panel heater or floor standing type oil filled electric heater.

I could have split hairs and said 'Well they cannot be connected to the E7 tariff without the consent of the electrical supplier, who will not grant permission as they will not be approved space heaters, however you could breach your contract with the supplier and do it anyway and just hope you are never found out, but it will technically work'

But I think it was fairly obvious what I meant, and what others would understand.

In the context of it being an electric only flat, I assumed an oil filled electric panel heater or floor standing type oil filled electric heater. .... But I think it was fairly obvious what I meant, and what others would understand.

Yes, as you say (and as I wrote on my last post, given the context you are almost certainly correct.

'To explain myself', when I first saw your original post, I initially thought that you were ('sarcastically') pointing out that an oil-fired heater could not be run off electricity (with any tariff)!

Kind Regards, John

I could have split hairs and said 'Well they cannot be connected to the E7 tariff without the consent of the electrical supplier, who will not grant permission as they will not be approved space heaters, however you could breach your contract with the supplier and do it anyway and just hope you are never found out, but it will technically work'
I'm not sure that I really understand that. As far as I am aware, long gone are the days when there were any restrictions on what could be fed from a dual tariff supply. I certainly can, and do, run anything I want off an E7 supply, at any/all times of the day. Have I misunderstood you?

Kind Regards, John

¿Que?

I'll try to get more info. One heater (one in bedroom) is smaller than lounge one. I just thought heaters which could be turned on when needed would be more economical. Aren't storage heaters good offices as they warm in the morning and some on afternoon. I need my flat warm in the morning and evening. Not afternoon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back