Fishing techniques?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How are the various brass "ends" of a fish-tape or access rod set used? They seem to come in various flavours, and I can't see how most of them would be used, especially the one with the small rectangular hole in it. Any hints and tips, chaps?

Cheers,

Howard

Sponsored Links
HDRW said:
How are the various brass "ends" of a fish-tape or access rod set used? They seem to come in various flavours, and I can't see how most of them would be used, especially the one with the small rectangular hole in it. Any hints and tips, chaps?

Cheers,

Howard

the small rectangular hole would be to put something thru to get a good fixing to the draw line. i.e put the earth thru the hole, fold back and tape on

the small rectangular hole would be to put something thru to get a good fixing to the draw line. i.e put the earth thru the hole, fold back and tape on

I always twist the earth and then tape, as one or twice have had it pull free :oops: I have also had the brass ends come away from the tape, even without much pressure, seems they're not always that well glued in. Most recently this happened whilst trying to pull through a switch cable in hollow wall, ended up having to cut out a large section of plasterboard to retrieve the cable. :mad:

I've always used the cheapest thin bamboo, plus wire coat hanger and gaffer tape. if I lose one it can be abandoned below the floor at low cost... :LOL:
Allows custom tools to be fabricated on site, without feeliong bad about cutting something expensive.
In funny cases, mis-use of the steel tape measure has helped me too.

Tell I'm from yorkshire origianally can ye? - deep pockets, short arms and all that.
:p

Sponsored Links
The ring end can be used to thread over an existing cable when feeding a new cable through the same path as an existing one. If you haven't got this attachment then forming a piece of 2.5mm into a loop and bending it through 90degrees will do when taped to the fish.
Street, I have also had ends 'come off' try roughing the plastic up, painting with superglue and ramming back in asap.

Qedelec said:
, I have also had ends 'come off' try roughing the plastic up, painting with superglue and ramming back in asap.

I will give it a go this weekend. ;)

mapj1 said:
I've always used the cheapest thin bamboo, plus wire coat hanger and gaffer tape. if I lose one it can be abandoned below the floor at low cost... :LOL:
Allows custom tools to be fabricated on site, without feeliong bad about cutting something expensive.
In funny cases, mis-use of the steel tape measure has helped me too.

Tell I'm from yorkshire origianally can ye? - deep pockets, short arms and all that.
:p

Yeah, I've used curtain track, MT1 lid, and steel measures, too! I put it down to being educated in Yorkshire...!! :LOL:

My Yorkshireman father-in-law was-an-electrician showed me to do it using earth-bonding cable with a bit of sleeve stripped off and bent round into an eye.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back