Fit a Remote Expansion Vessel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Someone's left the filling loop wide open in my tenants house for months, I wasn't aware. Anyway, cut a long story short... I'd appreciate some straightforward advice. Gas engineer I use is busy for at least 2 weeks, they need it sorted much quicker than this.

I have a trade and basic plumbing experience, I'm not Gas Safety registered. No work inside the boiler so am I legally allowed to fit an external vessel? Bear in mind this house is rented out.

The knackered internal one is 8l I've checked the manual. Fit the same size or would you recommend slightly larger? It was fine before the diaphragm split.

I felt okay at the thought of doing it until I watched this guy. He's competent for sure but, I hoped it was simpler than this:

If it's more straightforward than above video, I can get it very close to the boiler and I think I can do this without involving solder. Return leg is on the far left in the photo. So, drain system, fit vessel to 22mm return leg**, add inhibitor, refill system, bleed rads of course. Check the vessel has 1 bar in it? Bob's your uncle? Hmmm

** I'm thinking of cutting low where the skirting board is to avoid all those soldered joints. Hope to God it's 22mm and not 3/4" but I think I can still get 3/4" olives if not.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-03-03 at 13.38.16.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-03-03 at 13.38.16.jpeg
    377 KB · Views: 74
Sponsored Links
Yes. It doesn't have to be near the boiler, long as there are no valves between wherever you fit it & boiler PRV.

I wonder if the filling loop was left open to guise the fact that the ex vessel had become faulty?
Some of these unqualified cowboys get up to all kinds of tricks you know.

As long as you don't go smaller in size it's OK.
They're quite bulky and it will make for an untidy job fitted on the outside - I think I'd wait until the RGI can fit it inside the boiler.

Sponsored Links
i wouldnt worry about that youtube video, he is talking crap, no need to drain the whole system, just to the level where you are going to make the connection, and the communication pipe can be smaller than the connection, nearly all are, no need to be gas safe registered to do this

I see they come pre-charged with gas. Most convenient place for this is right beside the boiler anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back