fitted porch lamp, now internal lamp doesn't work (what coul

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a porch light with a built in PIR. I have just replaced it with exactly the same light fitting (so nothing could go wrong!).

It had 3 blue wires coming into the lamp fitting (one of these had brown tape on), 2 brown wires, 1 earth.

On the old fitting, the 2 blue wires from the household wiring went into the blue/neutral connection on the light fitting.

The blue wire with brown tape from the household wiring, went into the live/brown fitting on the light.

The 2 brown wires from the wiring circuit were connected together via chocolate block, and the single earth had a chocolate block to terminate it.

I replaced this like for like on the new fitting.

The switch which turns the power to the light is inside the house, as part of a 2 way switch. The other switch operates an internal hall light.

The new outside porch light works fine. However the internal light on the other switch has stopped working, so we have no internal hall light, as has another light in the hall (which is also a 2 way switch??), and another room (ie most of the lights on the same fuse circuit).

I could possibly understand I've done something to the outside light, but this new light works fine. I've also checked that I hadn't blown any light bulbs etc. Some of the other lights on the circuit (ie those which go off when I trip the fuse box to wire up the light) have come back, but some are not working.

Does any one have any ideas what I can have done!?? We have lots of dark rooms now!?

Thanks[/size

Sponsored Links
so what wires did these cables come from, eg, i had a brown brown blue and earth from one cable with the blue wire marked with brown tape.... that kind of thing.

the wires are coming out of the ceiling in the porch, so several cables running threough the roof, comes out a hole and into the light fitting??

the wires are coming out of the ceiling in the porch, so several cables running threough the roof, comes out a hole and into the light fitting??

can you dercribe each cable with it's cores, so each grey sheath with wires in it, or is your light wired purely in singles?

Sponsored Links
I can't see the cables now I've refitted the new light, other than the 6 individual cables coming thru the hole (I cant remember if it was 2 or 3 groups of canbles?) - I had put all the fitting back and it covered them up -I could try and take it all down, do you think I've somehow missed a wire? I did look at the old fitting carefully to try and make sure this didnt happen, but something has gone wrong, and I suspect its my error!?

it sounds like a loop system, you have a permanant feed to the light, a permanant feed out to the next and a switch wire. I am guessing you have got a break in the neutral or live loop, also I assume that the one earth wire you talk of is three earths in one sleeving.

I did drill a hole to put in a rawplug, so possible I hit something, is there an easy way to check? The earth wire is just 1 earth in 1 sleeve, not 3?

If the cables come staright through the wall its unlikley that you have drilled one. I would agree with 1john in that its probably a broken neutral in the terminals or you didnt secure it properly. It can often happen when you fold all the cables back especially if its 1mm that they can snap if you have overtightend the screw .

which terminal might the neutral be broken in, and is there a way to check? I can use a multimeter (eg to check there was 240v, then 0v when I had isolated the circuit at the fuse box? AQlso would that be the case if the new porch light works fine?

It would be one of the blue cables that is broken, when you take the porch light back off i suspect one of the blue cables will no longer be in the connector block. this is why non of the other lights are not working.

Just rechecked all the wires into the light fitting and they are all definitely in place - where might the loose blue/neutral wire be?

maybe it looks like all the wires are connected in the chock block but you might have pushed one in to far and screwed down on the insulation .

Assuming you have regular twin and earth flat cables, it sounds like you are missing one brown (permanent live) wire.

Is there a brown wire floating about, possibly in the ceiling void?

If so, I reckon it goes with the other two browns.

Assuming you have regular twin and earth flat cables, it sounds like you are missing one brown (permanent live) wire.

Is there a brown wire floating about, possibly in the ceiling void?

If so, I reckon it goes with the other two browns.

I agree.

Yup, I concur.

You have three blues and only two browns. Mind you, on this basis it appears you've lost 2 cpc's as well!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back