Fitting a bath and separate shower in a small bathroom?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Folks,
As mentioned on a separate thread (re boilers). I am in the process of buying a somewhat dated victorian end of terrace.

One issue we have is that whereas the 3 double rooms are a good size, the bathroom is fairly small (2.08m x 2.03m), but is very dated and so we want to completely strip and redo.

The current layout is roughly:

The safe option would be to retain that layout (with new fittings). However, I am not a great fan of shower-baths and would much prefer a separate shower (but we need to keep the bath).

Having done a bit of research, there are smaller (1540mm) baths, which we really like ("slipper roll-top"). I have had a playaround, and reckon that the following layout would work, and would allow me to have both a bath and a 800mm quadrant shower:

I realise that the bathroom will be fairly cramped - but even with the original layout there is fairly limited floor area, so in my view we have not lost much.

Has anyone had experience of implementing such a layout on a small(ish) bathroom?

Apart from the obvious (cluttered feel), are there any other serious issues with doing this?

Cheers
Bcfaigg

Sponsored Links
May I ask - why do you want to keep the bath?

We have a one year old son, and the missus is also partial to the occasional soak.

I also suspect that if we were to ever want to sell the house (not something we are planning to do, but you never know), then not having a bath would probably count against us.

Question is, would the clutter of squeezing both a bath and a shower into a relatively small bathroom act as even more of a deterrant to a potential buyer?

Bcfaigg

It;s a good point. On the whole new owners tend to want to change the bathroom (and the kitchen), and you seem to be proving the point.

So IMO having a bath or not isn't really a big an issue as it used to be - if the estate agent at the time suggest it will be then you can always spend a couple of thousand fixing it or accepting it as a bartering point.

We got rid of our bath a few years ago and never looked back, but in fairness our kids were of an age by then.

You could always do something weird and install a corner shower cubicle in a bedroom if there's room. Or something that some friends did in their 4 bed house - they put a gorgeous roll top bath in the spare/guest bedroom, and the bed itself for that room was a decent bed-settee. When they came to sell, they had the room restored to a bedroom and took the bath with them. Worked a treat TBH.

Anyway, it's all a matter of opinion

Sponsored Links
I`d put the bath more central .L-R , on that wall , gets it away from the window and the basin :idea:

Thanks guys. Whilst the bedrooms are a good size, I don't really want a shower in the bedroom. The largest room is probably big enough to fit an ensuite, but seems a bit pointless with the bathroom next door (and don't have the funds at this stage to redo the bathroom and install an ensuite).

In the long run, I want to redesign the ground floor, and may try to design a shower room - but again, won't be for a few years (unless I get a big pay rise :D )

Regarding making the bath more central - I can see that would be esthetically more pleasing, but given that the bath is 1540mm long, and the wall is 2030mm long, by having the bath central, will leave about 250mm either end, which would be basically dead space. By having the bath in the quarter, we are left with enough space to fit a bathroom cabinet of some sort for storage.

Quite a few people are suggesting that it is a bad idea to fit a bath and shower in such a small room - and we should probably listen - but I can't help thinking that as it is important for us to have both a bath and shower, we should go ahead - the room will be a little cramped, but ultimately should be "fit for purpose"...

Bcfaigg

Hi

Just thought I would add a couple of ideas..
Consider reversing the door to open outward.
A compromise on the slipper bath for a conventional
Straight edge would then open up the possibility
Of installing a smaller bath 1400 and the
Utilise the gap for the wc to face the bathroom
Door, this may then lend itself to possibly
Positioning the basin in front of the loo towards the door
Using a wall mount instead of a pedestal
And a short projection profile.

Hi

Just thought I would add a couple of ideas..
Consider reversing the door to open outward.
A compromise on the slipper bath for a conventional
Straight edge would then open up the possibility
Of installing a smaller bath 1400 and the
Utilise the gap for the wc to face the bathroom
Door, this may then lend itself to possibly
Positioning the basin in front of the loo towards the door
Using a wall mount instead of a pedestal
And a short projection profile.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think we may indeed need to look at opening the door outwards - I had wanted to avoid it, but given the size of the bathroom, there are going to have to be compromises - and it does free a bit more space.

We did think about other styles of bath - but even having a bath that is 1400mm long, means we would only have 630mm for the wc, which I think would feel tight and claustrophic (lack of elbow room). The layout I had hypothised has the advantage that you have plenty of elbow room (assuming the door is closed), but of course, the toilet is right in front of you when you open the door, which is not visually very pleasing, but otherwise is not a problem - there is still plenty of room to walk in diagonally into the centre of the room...

Cheers
Bcfaigg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back