Fitting a Blanco sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to fitting a Blanco inset sink to a laminate worktop. The hole in the worktop has been cut and sealed.
The underside of the sink has a blue flexible seal around it about 1-2mm from the edge, and the instructions show to apply sealant around the hole, seat the sink on it, then tighten the clips. The blue seal thus sits on the bead of sealant.
Unfortunately, once in position I found I couldn't access a couple of the clips so have had to remove the sink to make more access space.
It's a PITA, but what surprised me was how easy the sink came off the sealant. The blue seal was completely free of sealant, although the sealant on the worktop showed the seal had been seated perfectly.
Question - is this what is intended, ie the sink is not physically stuck to the worktop, or am I missing a trick here? is it designed to allow a bit of thermal expansion without damaging the silicone?
Any thoughts, hints, advice would be welcome while I remove the silicone from the worktop and try again.
TIA Mike

Sponsored Links
After siliconing, stick a few bricks or a bag of sand on the sink to hold it down until sealant goes off. Sink clips are a pain in the ***e. Never use them myself. I never use the flexible seal either.

Sponsored Links
The guy who cut the worktop suggested weighting it down and not using the clips, but even though I had weighted the sink with several pieces of worktop and a couple of concrete blocks the seal lifted off once the weight was removed. Also, because the flexible seal is already fixed to the sink, i did not want to remove it so I had to use the clips.
It's all sorted now though - I managed to fix the sink to the worktop with clips and then fit the worktop to the cupboard. Plenty of access to the clips that way.
Cheers,
Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back