Fitting a ceiling light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just recently removed and old fluorescent light from my kitchen ready to wire up to a new 4 bar halogen spotlight. I need to wire into the new light a switched live, neutral and earth supply, here is where the confusion comes in. The earth is fine thats a green and yellow cable. There is are 3 black cables, two are taped together and one is left on its own and there are three red cables which the previous fitter has capped off and covered with insulation tape and were never used.

Now im guessing the black cable left on its own is meant to be the switched live?? though it has no red core or red anywhere on it, so i could be wrong.

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I've just recently removed and old fluorescent light from my kitchen ready to wire up to a new 4 bar halogen spotlight. I need to wire into the new light a switched live, neutral and earth supply, here is where the confusion comes in. The earth is fine thats a green and yellow cable. There is are 3 black cables, two are taped together and one is left on its own and there are three red cables which the previous fitter has capped off and covered with insulation tape and were never used.

Now im guessing the black cable left on its own is meant to be the switched live?? though it has no red core or red anywhere on it, so i could be wrong.

Thanks for your help

The easiest way is to simply replicate where the previous lamp fittings S/L- N - E went !

Are you absolutely sure the red cables are all 'dead' :LOL:

Old wiring was red- L, Black- N and g/yellow- E (often an unsleeved bare wire).

Have a quick look in the wiki at the lighting diagrams, and the new to old colour codes- new L = brown (old red), new N = blue (old black).

Likely that the single black is s/L and the group black N.

Picture would be handy, and are you sure the reds are 'dead'

The 3 red wires are most likely the permanent live, so need to be connected with a proper connection block, and NOT covered in insulation tape.

Prepare for disappointment too - that halogen bar light will give out significantly less light than the fluorescent one did, yet will probably use far more energy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back