Fitting a Chimney Cooker Hood - What Electrics Required??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to instal a chimney style cooker extractor fan/hood which I haven't bought or even chosen yet! I am in the process of sorting the electrics out for the new kitchen (building site at mo) and need to know whether most extractor fan hoods run from the normal ring main wiring or whether it should be wired up to the isolated cooker main - if you know what I mean. Someone out there will find this easy - I do know it kinda depends on what type of extrtactor hood you buy, but I just wondered if anyone knows the wiring requirements for a bog-standard glass/chrome chimney extractor hood which can either do filtering the air through filters or through an outside vent? Ta.

Sponsored Links
1. This is notifiable as is the rest of the wiring in the kitchen.

2. I have always done them off the kitchen ring via a FCU. Would not run it off the cooker supply.

Have not done one since the rules changed ;-0

Convention is to have an accesible FCU or 20A DP switch* fed from the ring (normally adjacent to a socket at worktop height)

This in turn feeds a socket behind the chimney of the extractor hood.

*This is a well debated subject.

Sponsored Links
When I replaced my kitchen, I supplied my chimney hood from the new kitchen ring circuit, via a fcu (at worktop level) supplying a socket behind the chimney of the extractor hood.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back