Fitting a door hinge ....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fitting a door hinge .... with my 'let’s crack on beginners basics' :oops:
I have been over zealous with my chisel and chopped out too deep a hole to sit the hinge in. As I have already planed the door to the right size, what can I do to fill out the hole & position the hinge correctly?

The door not springs open like a man trap! :rolleyes:

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi, is the door natural wood or painted?
If painted you can just pack out the hole with cardboard until the hinge sits at the right place then fill and paint the hole away. If it is natural wood you will need to fill with woodfiller of the same colour.
You do need to make sure though that the screws are long enough to cope with the new depth and that there is still enough wood for the screw to grip into if the door is a hollow one.
I'm new in here so I hope this helps but let me know if I've made a mistake.

i have packed it out with cardboard a few times when i've messed up when ive chisel and chopped out too deep always did the tick for me

It is a old stripped pine door - I tried to use a metal brachet as a spacer but it did not help. I will have a go with some filler & some longer screws.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
are you sure the binding isn't due to an anomaly in the door fitting to the hinge side or that it is catching the rebate?

Try adapting what is shown on page 3 of this guide also take note of the note at the bottom of the page.

Basically it says fill existing hinge housing and start again.

Kil - you don't say if you've 'butchered' the door or the frame, either way the only effective repair is 'let-in' a new piece of timber (broadly following aw's advice).

Cut a section of matching timber bigger than the knackered hinge housing (try to introduce a very slight taper to the edges) - this filling piece should be thicker than the cutout, clean-out the hinge housing back to 'decent' stable material and trim to match the size of the timber filler. Dry fit to check fit (it should only go in a slight distance 'cos of the tapered edges), now glue both the filling piece and the housing and push together. Using a block of wood & hammer drive the filling piece home - the tapered edges will 'bite' and hold it in place. For piece-of-mind tap in a couple of panel pins to hold (leave them proud for easy withdrawl when the glue dries). When all is dry, trim off level the extra thickness of the filling piece. re-cut for the hinge. If the filling piece was accurately made with effective tapered edges you'll have no gaps that need filling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back