Fitting a door in an crooked frame - how best?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing all the doors in the house and have just done one where the two uprights of the frame are not parallel; they are out of line by about 15mm at the bottoms. I have had a nightmare with this and the fact that I'm re-fitting with 3 hinges where the original fitter only gave 2 hinges and he butchered the frame rebates. Last night it took me 3 hours to get the damn thing to hang and then to open without actually distorting the frame and moving the stud wall and even causing a creak in the adjacent door!

Now the door shuts with a nice click from the new latch but you have to force it shut by pushing the top into the frame. The door is new and quite high in moisture - you can feel this when you insert a finger in the latch rebate while it's warm from drilling out. I expect the door to shrink slightly despite the three coats of varnish I have applied, all the others have. Will it conform to the shape of the frame? How would a professional deal with the out-of-true frame?

Sponsored Links
shouldnt realy fit a door till its acclimatised :rolleyes:
your nice even 2mm gap allthe way round can turn into a 5mm gap :rolleyes:

remove all doorstops and fit a temporary blocks 1/3 down each side

you refit the frame properly ;)

or you quarter the diference

so 2 corners are back by 3.5 mm and 2 are forward by3.5mm

in otherwards where the handle is the door is flush with the frame both sides and the door is adjusted on the hinge side to pull one half in by 3.5mm and the other out by 3.5mm

refit door stop

Thanks. You clearly know all about this!

Unfortunately the doors were already to size, I didn't need to shave them at all so yes, that nice 2-3mm gap will grow as they dry out, as I've found with the others of the same I have already fitted.

The bloke who fitted the original doors was a real butcher with his chisel. I guess I should have filled the original screw holes and started afresh. If the door doesn't "conform" to the frame in a few weeks I will take it off and start again, following your advice.

It's always easier fitting a door to a new frame than trying to use the existing hinges, especially if you're adding a middle hinge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back