fitting a heated towel rail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I would like a low wattage (50-100W) heated electric towel rail in my small shower room.

My idea is to simply feed the wire from the towel rail through the bathroom wall, attach a plug and therefore have it plugged in outside of the bathroom.

I do not want to get involved with wiring into the mains and I cannot afford an electrician.

Is this ok? Can I just feed it through the wall, or does it need to go through some kind of special plate??

If it is ok then I also need to extend the cable coming from the towel rail as it needs to be around 3m long. Does it need to be a certain type of cable or size?

Many thanks, and try not to be too harsh in your comments if I am asking a silly question, I'm just exploring cheap alternatives and have no intention of doing anything that may be dangerous.

Steve.

Sponsored Links
First - would you please answer these questions:

Is it an electric shower?
If so, is the circuit protected by a Residual Current Device at your Consumer Unit?
Is the socket circuit which you propose to use protected by a Residual Current Device at your Consumer Unit?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back