Fitting a home energy monitor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys

I had Loft insulation fitted today and was given (free yehaa) a Trec Energy Aware usage moitor. Easy to fit but I want to make sure its done right.

I fitted the clamp around the wire shown red, instructions state the live from the meter to the fuse box is "usually" the 4th cable from the right. Problem is I only have 3 cables coming from the meter and I get a reading when I fit the clamp to any of the 2 cables arrowed (both different readings) Which one is the right cable? View media item 73150
View media item 73158 Here you go.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
can you redo the photo from a little further back to show the incoming cable and the whole meter

Added to my original post. This one shows the clamp in place.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yep I've had it there and it gives a reading but placed on the cable adjacent to it gives another reading, totally different.

Just noticed when on the right hand cable the digital reader shoots up from around 700 watts usage to 2.1watts when a cooker ring is turned on but does nothing when a kettle or microwave is switched on. then the opposite happens when I connect to the other cable..... :rolleyes:

Can see it going in the bottom drawer...

Either of the two grey cables coming from the meter is fine as they will both be carrying exactly the same amount of current.

The fact you get different readings on both shows these meters are cack.

RF, finally someone who knows that current will be the same in both meter wires on 2-wire supplies.

What is it with these monitor manufacturers? Do they think everyone has huge earth faults? Or do they just don't understand what they're selling? And why do they insist you install these on the tails after the meter?

I know it's petty, but there is a not insignificant risk when bending/pulling/twisting meter tails to make one of these oversized plastic clamps fit on the 2" of 'correct' wire in the meter box, especially when dealing with older equipment.

If the sensor clamp is not fully closed you will get false readings. The main problem with clamping to either of the two right side cables is that there is also power being fed to the left hand consumer unit which is not being sensed by your CT. You original location on the left cable out of the meter is your best bet.

1 out of 10 to the bonzo who stapled up the phone/data line

get one off these
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Energenie-E...2074622&sr=8-1&keywords=Energenie+Power+Meter

plug it in and plug your item into the monitor
use an extension lead off say 2 metres with a 13 amp capacity
it seems to be quite accurate you can set it up to tell you the consumption over several days/weeks/months on the same item

if you use it in connection with a plug in lamp holder you can check the actual consumption off your bulbs

What is it with these monitor manufacturers? Do they think everyone has huge earth faults? Or do they just don't understand what they're selling? And why do they insist you install these on the tails after the meter?

Well theory certainly don't know that you can't measure power consumption by measuring current alone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back