Fitting a new boiler - how much can I do myself?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My faithful Vokera 20/80 has started to groan. The pump is on its way out and although I'm sure I could replace the pump and get another few years from it, I really ought to get it replaced seeing as it really needed to be replaced five years ago. The fact that I've manage to squeeze this long out of it is a blessing I guess!

I wondered how much work I could do in order to minimise the time and cost required by a Gas Safe engineer?
Presumably it is 'safe' for me to isolate the gas supply, drain or depressurise the system and remove the old boiler and brackets? Am I allowed to mount the new boiler, connect the electrics (qualified and registered electrician friend of mine would do this) and then have a Gas Safe engineer come to connect the pipework? I am more than happy to do the thermostat etc (already have a nice wireless Honeywell one that I'll reuse). I will most likely use a condensate pump and pre-route this to the kitchen sink which is located in the adjacent room. I like the idea of tiny 10mm pipe running level against my skirting board rather than an ugly sloping pipe halfway up the bedroom wall :rolleyes:

Does any of this make sense? I am obviously trying to save money as it's quite tight at the mo but I don't want to scrimp on safety.

many thanks

stu

Sponsored Links
Best get an RGI sorted first and see what he wants to do and what he's happy for you to do.

Boiler/gas leave to the pro. The wet side there's no reason you can't run it all and leave the pipes somewhere handy.

As above, regardless of what anyone here says, you need to agree something with the installer. Phone around and see what people say, cos you may find that many wont be interested the minute you mention doing some work yourself.

I would say the only things you cannot and must not do are the Flue and Gas, no reason why you can't hang boiler and wet plumb it up, although it may need to be powerflushed first and think about some sort of magna clean (TF1) on the central heating return and scale inhibiter on the cold in

Sponsored Links
We, for example, are quite ahppy to hang a boiler onto your heating and hot water pipes. But we will insist on drilling and mounting the flue. Mounting the boiler running the gas and wiring the controls.

It will save you a fortune in the donkey work, but allows you to pay for a premium product.

We, in the same example, would not expect:

Incorrectly labelled pipes,
Pipes in the wrong place,
To be haggled with over price - before or after the works,
To pass on our discounts on the materials we supply,
To have to wait around unexpectedly and unpaid whilst materials are delivered to site, your side of the works are to be finished,
There to problems with plumbing not carried out by us.
To warrant the operation or longevity of products/systems not supplied or fitted by us.

I am sure other professionals would work to those expectations, but only by prior agreement.

Even the professionals are sometimes unclear what must be done by a registered engineer!

The key aspects which MUST be done by an RGI are:-

Fit mounting bracket !

Fit the flue to the boiler.

Cap off the gas supply, install new gas pipework and connect to boiler.

Commission boiler, complete the Benchmark anbd notify BC !

ALL other aspects CAN be done by the owner but ONLY if the RGI agrees that he will do the essentials and accept what the owner can do.

I would only do the essentials if the owner had already connected the heating system to the boiler and pressurised it.

I have had bad experiences where the owner waited for me and then there were 5-6 leaks which I had to wait while he fixed them.

Many RGIs will not even consider doing just part of the work. I am one of the very few who will but its still very rare that I ever do. Thats because DIY minded owners prefer to illegally install their boilers and still expect an RGI to sign it off as his own installation ( which none should be doing! ).

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back