Fitting a new fan oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a little confused as I have just taken delivery of a new fan assisted oven that states on the website that you do NOT have to have an electrician to fit it. However, on the back of the oven there is no plug (as is a 13 amp standard with our old Ariston fan oven) and there is a sticker stating that you need to have a qualified electrician to fit it.

This is the new oven

http://www.appliancesonline.co.uk/p...ux EOB53000W&gclid=CMqk14LQ5KkCFYpA4QodBGeCWQ

Any advise will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It states on the spec of the oven that it requires a 13A power supply.
If you already have a socket-outlet in place for use, it will be a case of fitting a 13A Plug on to the flex of the oven, then away you go. Providing you know how to terminate a plug there is no need for an electrician.

Thanks. It does say in the manual that it needs at least a 15 amp. Just pulled the old one out and taken the flex off. Not sure it will be long enough as the new oven has the power input on the right side. The old was on the left.

It does state on the site you link to:-

Requires 13 Amp Power Supply Yes - May Require Electrician To Connect The Plug

And I agree also says:-

Requires Electrician To Hard Wire No
Electrical Connection 3 KW

If you look further into the "Requires Electrician To Hard Wire" it says when it says "Yes" means you must have a registered electrician install the cooker.

So we will look at what we have.
1) It is a permanent fixture and over 2kW which means to comply with regulations it must have a dedicated supply. i.e. not just plugged into ring main. However many houses will have a dedicated cooker supply and since under 3kW that could terminate to a 13A socket. Also it could terminate into a fused connection unit (FCU) either way the house holder is permitted to connect up the cooker. There are pros and cons with both methods. A plug may over time overheat and fail but it does allow easy maintenance the FCU is a better job but one has to isolate the supply elsewhere in order to connect and disconnect.
2) It has not got plug attached and under UK regulations portable appliances must be provided with a plug. Since it is not portable it does not require a plug but if the manufacturer says you can fit the plug and you get it wrong some one may try to take the manufacturer to court so they must play safe and tell you to use an electrician.

So what difference, assuming you can fit the plug without a problem, between you fitting it and an electrician fitting it.

The electrician will test the supply. He will issue a minor works certificate and will likely change the socket for a FCU. He will ensure it is a dedicated supply, and he will measure the earth loop impedance to ensure if there is a fault it will auto disconnect. (The fuse will blow) He will ensure that the RCD will trip within the required time. (If fitted)

Now if the last oven was fitted by an electrician likely there will be no problem. However pre-2004 anyone could work on house electrics and the supply may not be as it should.

So if you feel confident you know what to do and the house electrics are all A1 then no reason for you not to fit it. If however you are unsure about what to do or are unsure about how well house is wired then get an electrician.

Sponsored Links
Can't answer how well it was fitted or by whom as we inherited the cooker when we moved in 13 years ago. However, it has worked fine (of course it's run it's course and is no longer working properly but that's materiel wear and tear) all the time we have had it so I will feel confident to continue with this set up.

Thanks for your help.

Not sure where in Cheshire but Chester has a good electrical supply shop on bumpers lane right by Screwfix and you can get new cable there or in Screwfix but the whole sale outlet will advise on suitable cable.

Since the electrician does not need to be registered to do this work any electrician i.e. an industrial one could do this work for you. I am sure you will know some one local.

Providing you do not alter your electrical system by changing the socket outlet to a down rated out-plate or fused connection unit and continue to use the socket outlet. There is no need for an electrician, as you have stated everything work prior to cooker packing up.
So buy a new flex of the same type supplied on the cooker and fit a plug, the cooker will work fine.
By the way what does the plate on the cooker say the output power is?
The key words are "may require an electrician"
So providing replacing flex and fitting plug is within your capabilities, I don't see a problem. A little inconvenience but no major headache.

Ok, should I get a 15 amp fuse to be safe ? Looking on the B and Q website for the heat resistant cable and it's £15. That's expensive.

I read the link it says 3kW so just within 13A plug range.
Sorry just looked at the link I went to electrolux website hoping information would be better, surprise! it's not.
You will be okay with 13A fuse you are not going to get a 15A one.
If you want flex cut to size, go to your local CEF (city electrical factors) they will charge you per metre.

Ok, should I get a 15 amp fuse to be safe ? Looking on the B and Q website for the heat resistant cable and it's £15. That's expensive.

Although B&Q and Screwfix are the same firm often cheaper from screwfix. I normally look on web site then go to Screwfix in Chester and call in to Chester Plumbing and Electrical supplies on way as only 50 yards from Screwfix and normally it is cheaper than Screwfix.

Well what do you know. Fitted and all works well (clock, heat, light) except the rear fan won't come on when you turn the oven (with the fan symbol) on. Rang them and Electrolux say it should come on straight away. Sending an engineer out the earliest on Friday. Back to square one but even worse as old oven has gone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back