Fitting a Radiator

i am fairly slow installer but eben quicker than that vid :p
and i thought was good idea to use short part of bracket for doubles and the long part for singles and last but not least does anyone actualy mesure the center window or do you do what i do plunk it center mark where hangers for brackets are then messure the bottom hanger to bottom rad add 4" and their base line
may opened my self up for critism :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
i am fairly slow installer but eben quicker than that vid :p
and i thought was good idea to use short part of bracket for doubles and the long part for singles and last but not least does anyone actualy mesure the center window or do you do what i do plunk it center mark where hangers for brackets are then messure the bottom hanger to bottom rad add 4" and their base line
may opened my self up for critism :rolleyes:

Speed is the name of the game, plonk the rad aginst the window bottom, balance it out so that it looks right, but if it is a wooden floor make sure that your stabbings are not going to hit a joist.

I watched that video of TomPlum showing how to make a 15mm crossover bend using a bending machine, what a load of faffing about he did, how the hell is a layman supposed to learn from that I dont know?
Wasn't impressed when he showed how to sweat up a 15mm tee piece, he used enough solder to have a good weigh in, solder running all down the pipe, a good foreman or a clerk of works would have told him to strip it out and do it proper, shucks :cry:

I won't have a bad word said about tomplum, don't forget he's working infront of a camera to be seen by thousands of people. And he has the balls to video himself in the first place.

His vidoes are just to help new starters and diy'ers, he knows time served plumbers of 50+ will find them tedious.

Not having a go at you Malcolm X. :)

Sponsored Links
All my family are connected to the building trade in one way or another, my dad came from a big family, six boys and three girls.
In the days of old when families visited each other on a sunday all my uncles etc used to visit my old gran, and sat in the big kitchen/livingroom it was just like being on a building site cos that was all the conversation was about... work.
It was a case of mind that pile of bricks, mind that stack of timber, watch that wet paint, don't touch that pipe i've just sweated a joint its still hot.
Then it would be down to the pub which you couldn't get in for all the building materials, :LOL: happy days.

I won't have a bad word said about tomplum, don't forget he's working infront of a camera to be seen by thousands of people. And he has the balls to video himself in the first place.

His vidoes are just to help new starters and diy'ers, he knows time served plumbers of 50+ will find them tedious.

Not having a good at you Malcolm X. :)
Thank you Jay you're an officer and a gentleman, I would be loath to cause any offence :)

What worries me now is the skill is going out of plumbing with these Mickey Mouse plastic speedfits and the like.

I'm no expert but I think all the major house builders use it, its just not as durable as copper, unexplained bursts, rats chewing it, restrictive inserts!

Good design but deadly in the wrong hands.

I have no time for this plastic rubbish and wont use it, you can't beat a nicely crafted piece of pipe. The art of plumbing is to hide as much of the pipe as you can, nice and neat behind a pedestal wash basin, nice neat tight bends, using either a bending machine or a bending spring and sometime depending on the job a nicely worked annealed bend, elbows of course where needed.
I don't like this self clean flux either or lead free solder it runs like water and follows the flux as it runs down the pipe when heated, much prefer the traditional flux and lead/tin solder which you can still buy from plumbers merchants or B&Q.
I dont know anyone who has died of lead poisoning, plenty of plumbers I know have died of the booze though :rolleyes:

I have had one or two young plumbobs come to me and ask if I could wipe a joint for them when they have had to break into a lead pipe, rather funny that :LOL:

you may die of shock if your plumbing is tested and lead solder is found, you would have to repipe whatever it is you have done, that could be very costly, think I will stick to lead free solder.

you may die of shock if your plumbing is tested and lead solder is found, you would have to repipe whatever it is you have done, that could be very costly, think I will stick to lead free solder.
Only thing I can say to that picasso is that it is still being sold over the counter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back