Fitting a Radiator

I have had one or two young plumbobs come to me and ask if I could wipe a joint for them when they have had to break into a lead pipe, rather funny that :LOL:
whats wrong with lead lock :?:
They're cumbersome looking things, possibly expensive, never bought one. You can't beat a nicely wiped joint bulled up with a bit of wire wool when cooled off and then finished off with the old plumbers black, yes, still got a tin of that, see the look on the faces of these young plumbobs when they see it, then look at their faces when you give them the bill :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Its good to keep the old traditional skills of yesteryear, I take it that you have heard of Fred Dibnah? I knew Fred well he lived near me on Radcliffe Road I live on Radcliffe New Road.
Fred was true master of his craft I have been to his house many a time and used to meet up with im at steam rallies up and down the country, the man was a genius rest in peace Fred.

apperntly fred was bit pain according to one mate they took on tour their factory and he kept coming back they could not get rid him being from bolton yep i herd of him

i know theory of how to do wiped joint never treid it though

With the greatest respect Malcolm, Tom is a great guy & a first class Plumber & true Gent. I'm hououred to call him my chum!!

These LeadLock fittings are cr.p, two minutes & a joint is wiped. These young pups ain't got a clue!!

Sponsored Links
With the greatest respect Malcolm, Tom is a great guy & a first class Plumber & true Gent. I'm hououred to call him my chum!!

These LeadLock fittings are cr.p, two minutes & a joint is wiped. These young pups ain't got a clue!!
thats because lead pipe only their to weigh in

apperntly fred was bit pain according to one mate they took on tour their factory and he kept coming back they could not get rid him being from bolton yep i herd of him

i know theory of how to do wiped joint never treid it though
Fred was a charactor all right I first met him when we worked on Chester castle, we were doing the sheet lead and cast iron work and Fred was doing the stone work, he liked a pint and had very short arms and deep pockets in other words he was a bit careful with money.
By all accounts he left a million when he died but left nowt to his third and last wife, she went to court to claim a fair share but don't know what the result was, not heard owt lately.

I have no doubt Tom is a great guy perhaps the cameraman could have handled things better.

I better shut me gob, I've said enough on this thread you'll all be getting bored and someone might complain to the mods and get me chucked off the site :cry:

I better shut me gob, I've said enough on this thread you'll all be getting bored and someone might complain to the mods and get me chucked off the site :cry:

Malcolm, you say as much as you like. A man with your experience is a valuable asset to any forum.

Tom's a good laugh & he wouldn't mind what you said.

Have you watched all Tom's vids?

When I was on the tools I always looked after the young lads that came into the game, first impressions count and a lot of the lads jacked up because of the treatment meted out to them by older guys who should have had more sense and respect for these kids.
Leaving school and being thrown into the deep end of a building site in the depth of winter is a daunting experience.

When I was on the tools I always looked after the young lads that came into the game, first impressions count and a lot of the lads jacked up because of the treatment meted out to them by older guys who should have had more sense and respect for these kids.
Leaving school and being thrown into the deep end of a building site in the depth of winter is a daunting experience.

You are so right Malcolm, they are rough places & the 'right of passage' is never easy. I was fortunate to have some great auld gits to teach me, but get it wrong & you got a kick up the arze. But man did these guys know their stuff, one or two were former POWs from WW2!! I loved every minute of work when I was serving my time, the laughs, the jobs & the people.

If I had my time over again and the big man upstairs asked me what kind of job would I like, without doubt I would say put me in the plumbing trade, can't think of anything better.

Malcolm you are a man after my own heart, I love the Plumbing/Heating trade. I'd never do any other job, ever!!

Had a busy day today, did a couple of local jobs then went over to east Manchester and did a few there, on the way back to base we called in to Ada's chippy for dinner then we went to Warrington to pick up a Landrover discovery that my lad has bought, now I might get some peace and quiet instead of him going on all day long about Landrovers.
The last couple of nights a million and one memories about the plumbing game has come back to me,
Various aspects of the trade that have long gone, I imagine they would be of interest to younger plumbers on here, these are things that should in my opinion be recorded for posterity.
Would this be the right place to post them to or should they go to the general discussion board???? I would say they should go to the plumbers board, am I right???

Post away malcomX, you sound like someone worth listening to... none of that islamic bollix though, if you don't mind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back