fitting a stove on pressurised system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At present we have an external oil boiler, what we want to do is get rid of that and install a multifuel boiler inside.
Ive had a look in the airing cupboard and there is a filling loop and an expansion vessel so im presuming its a pressurised system ?
Can I cut the flow and return on the existing pipework and divert it to the new stove thus plumbing it in so to speak ?
Ive also read somewhere that you cant put a multi f stove on a pressurised system ?
Finally do I need to make one of my rads into a heat sink rad ? what we would do is when we light the boiler we would set the heating onto constant so surely that would be the same and the hot water would just come and go as programmed
Thankyou in anticipation

Sponsored Links
I suspect the answer is going to be a fat NO. Reason being you can 'switch off' the heat from a stove like you can on piped fuel

I suspect the answer is going to be a fat NO. Reason being you cannot 'switch off' the heat from a stove like you can on piped fuel

The stove is solid fuel, isn't it?

It would need to be open-vented, not pressurized. The water in the system boils if it exceeds 100 degC and there is an incoming supply of make-up water to allow it to boil off steam constantly. It also needs a heat dump radiator. Many stoves are no rated for any sort of pressure.

You could link the open-vented solid fuel stove to the pressurized heating system through a heat exchanger but that is more complex than can be detailed on this forum.

Sponsored Links
I would recommend keeping the oil boiler.

If you fit a heatstore in place of your current hot water cylinder (if space permits) you could use both heat sources either separately or together. This is effectively what onetap suggests but with a buffer tank.

The uncontrolled source (stove) will still need a header tank for expansion and a heat leak rad.

These multifuel solutions are not all they are cracked up to be and if you extract a significant amount of heat out of the stove using the water HEX it will quickly resemble a tar stained heap. The more honest manufacturers give warnings to this effect eg: Clearview.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back