Fitting an outdoor socket.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to install a new outside socket for use with garden power tools.

There's a single power point behind our washing machine. It's just below the worktop, about 750mm above the floor and on the inner face of an external cavity wall, and I want to use this socket to provide the outdoor supply.

The washing machine is plugged into this power point, and the socket is supplied via an isolation switch on the wall above the same worktop; the type which is illuminated when on. We switch it on when the washing machine is in use, and off when it isn't.

Am I correct in believing that there would be no extra protection to be gained by fitting an RCD protected socket on a main which is already RCD protected?

Given that the socket which will supply the outdoor power point is already isolated, would I need to fit an additional isolation switch on the inside wall for the outdoor socket?

Is it OK to use ordinary PVC sheathed cable as long as it isn't exposed to the weather?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Definitely no need for another RCD. You don't actually need an isolation switch for an outdoor socket though it is recommended by some as an outdoor socket can get water in it is not properly sealed.

But your washing machine socket is most probably a spur off a ring, the spur starts as it leaves the isolation switch. So your outdoor socket is a spur off a spur which is not recommended.

Thanks for your response. It did occur to me after writing my post that I might be spurring off a spur, which is as you say not recommended. Would it, however, actually break any regs?

The outdoor socket would be for only occasional use--perhaps mowing the lawn once a week in summer and little if anything in winter. And I most certainly wouldn't be spurring any further.

Sponsored Links
the socket is supplied via an isolation switch on the wall above the same worktop
Is this a fused switch (aka FCU)?
If so then you only need to be aware that the total load available will be the value of the fuse in the fused switch. Probably 13A.
If so then carry on.

If it is not fused then you will be creating a spur from a spur.
You ask
Would it, however, actually break any regs?
Yes it would!
and also re
I most certainly wouldn't be spurring any further.
It doesnt matter. Electrical installations can be there for many decades. The next householder may not be aware of your bodge and may connect his hot tub up to your little project, and that may not have happy consequences.

Its a fused switch, so I'll go for it. But I'll have a look at the rating of the fuse first.

Thanks again.

Its a fused switch, so I'll go for it. But I'll have a look at the rating of the fuse first.

Thanks again.

Well it that case it shouldn't be, (though does not break any regs). The washing machine plug has a fuse and two similar fuses in line are as stupid as two RCDs in line.

The FCU was there when we moved in, and if the fact that it has a fuse allows me to complete my "little project" rather than indulging in a "bodge", then all well and good. ;0)

The FCU was there when we moved in, and if the fact that it has a fuse allows me to complete my "little project" rather than indulging in a "bodge", then all well and good. ;0)

Personally I would call an outdoor socket on the same fcu as a washing machine a bodge even if compliant. If I found it on a house I moved into I would be changing it asap.

Personally I would call an outdoor socket on the same fcu as a washing machine a bodge even if compliant. If I found it on a house I moved into I would be changing it asap.

My dictionary defines "bodge" as "to make a mess of or botch", and to "botch" as "to spoil through clumsiness or ineptitude".

If it works and complies, do those definitions really apply?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back