Fitting an outdoor socket.

Sponsored Links
No reason why you shouldn't have a switched fused spur controlling a washing machine and an outside socket.

It's not the norm, as one would expect the switch to control just one of these items, but it breaks no rules, and such an arrangement is very common when adding any extra sockets.

One could start labelling the switch or socket by engraving etc.

But no requirement.

Personally I would call an outdoor socket on the same fcu as a washing machine a bodge even if compliant.
Why?

If I found it on a house I moved into I would be changing it asap.
Yes, but you are desperately irrational about some things.

Quite simply. A lawn mower and washing machine both on at the same time would overload a 13 amp fuse.

Bad design? Yes.

Total bodge? No.

Good bodge? Yes.

Best practice? No.

Acceptable? Yes.

Sponsored Links
I don't mind gardening in dirty clothes, so I guess I could alternate washing machine and lawnmower.

The hot tub will have to wait, but I don't suppose they sell many of them in North Wales anyhow.

Quite simply. A lawn mower and washing machine both on at the same time would overload a 13 amp fuse.
Possibly.

Possibly not.

But I'll tell you what is certain, and that is that every single house in the land has socket circuits which would overload the protective device if a number of certain appliances were all plugged in at the same time.

So given that, do you have a useful and helpful point to make, or are you just being a pointless-waste-of-space t**t?

Possibly.

Possibly not.

But I'll tell you what is certain, and that is that every single house in the land has socket circuits which would overload the protective device if a number of certain appliances were all plugged in at the same time.

So given that, do you have a useful and helpful point to make, or are you just being a pointless-waste-of-space t**t?

The point I was making was the washing machine will fully load the 13amp fuse leaving nothing for the outside socket at the same time.

A whole 13amps (3000watts at a nominal 230volts)? And that's even less in your 240v World….:D
You need to get a new washing machine.

Most washing machines have the following power consumption for an average cycle (2000w heat, 500w spin, 250 wash).

OK. Its even better where he lives. A 2000watt heating cycle would only consume 8.3amps in 240vland, leaving heaps for the Flymo.

My washing machine is rated at 2300 watts max. My Flymo uses 1450 watts. The outdoor socket is rated at 3120 watts max.

I promise to be REALLY careful, and to not cause any explosions.

My washing machine is rated at 2300 watts max. My Flymo uses 1450 watts. The outdoor socket is rated at 3120 watts max.

I promise to be REALLY careful, and to not cause any explosions.

Maybe, but will someone else?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back