outdoor sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to add an exterior 13 amp socket with rcd protection (2 gang switched) to my existing outdoor sockets does anyone know if it is okay just to wire into the last outdoor socket

Sponsored Links
What form of RCD protection do the existing sockets have?

Are they on a ring, a radial or a fused spur from a ring?

Where will the cable for the new socket run?

What type of cable do you plan to use?

Are you aware that adding this socket will be notifiable?

If the socket is not a spur or has been connected by a fused connection unit, should be okay, it is notifiable work as outdoors are special locations.

What form of RCD protection do the existing sockets have?

Are they on a ring, a radial or a fused spur from a ring?

Where will the cable for the new socket run?

What type of cable do you plan to use?

Are you aware that adding this socket will be notifiable?

i had my house completely re wired last year all the outdoor sockets are protected by their own mcb in the consumer unit

the new cable will be buried in a raised flower bed and run 10 meters down the garden to the new socket

im planning to use 2.5mm 3 core swa cable
and im aware this comes under as notifiable work
cheers

Sponsored Links
i had my house completely re wired last year all the outdoor sockets are protected by their own mcb in the consumer unit

And still this doesn't answer the question as to whether they're on a radial or a ring, or whether the one you plan to use is a spur.

the outdoor sockets are on a ring circuit with rcd protection
exterior 13 amp socket with rcd protection
So that didn't mean you're planning to use an RCD socket?

and the cable will buried 2 foot in the flower bed
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/7.13.3.htm

As long as the socket housings you have will accept SWA glands then it all sounds OK. You might find it useful to get earthing nuts.

the outdoor sockets are on a ring circuit with rcd protection
exterior 13 amp socket with rcd protection
So that didn't mean you're planning to use an RCD socket?

and the cable will buried 2 foot in the flower bed
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/7.13.3.htm

As long as the socket housings you have will accept SWA glands then it all sounds OK. You might find it useful to get earthing nuts.

im using the socket with rcd protection as it was a freebie and didnt want to fork out for another socket

im using the socket with rcd protection as it was a freebie and didnt want to fork out for another socket

May be false economy as a fault, or pressing the test button on the RCD socket will also trip the RCD for the main house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back