Fitting Architrave around Half Newel Post Finial

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fit new architrave and half newel post finial to the wall (neither are fixed yet). I've done a rough cut on some architrave and it seems it will over-hang / cover the top of the finial a lot.

Is this the best / right way to fit these items?

PXL_20230814_155602882.jpg

PXL_20230814_155514938.jpg

PXL_20230814_155250282.jpg

Sponsored Links
That is the way to go, consider planing the high spots on the overhangs, lots of practice pieces and you will get there.

Blup

Presumably you have spare architrave?
I’d be tempted to sand off the small top part on the finial, it would make your life way easier.
Nobody will notice.

I’d make umpteen card or fibre templates for the cutouts until you get it right. Cutting accurately will look batter than filler.
you could use fibreboard and build it up in layers.
cut it so that there is space behind the architrave and the front surface comes to a point, easier to trim accurately.

Sponsored Links
The only way I can think is to pull the finial further over which won’t look right, or to replace the whole architrave with something flat.

Cant work out if it is all part of a stair case as the door seems to open into it.

Blup

I was thinking the same thing. At present the OP is attempting to do a 3D scribe which isn't going to work too well.

If the finial atop the newel were removed the architrave could then be scribed to the newel post and cap without any problems

Is the Finial actually already fixed to the wall? Fixed to the newel?
May be easier to scribe/sort if separate while doing the work, or as said, stick it on a small block
(I forget te term when used for skirting etc)

if both finial and architrave were off the wall, cutting in from the back might be easier

The only way I can think is to pull the finial further over which won’t look right, or to replace the whole architrave with something flat.

Cant work out if it is all part of a stair case as the door seems to open into it.

Blup
Yes it's part of a stair case but the door opens away from it into a bedroom.

PXL_20230912_093559220.jpg

Is the Finial actually already fixed to the wall? Fixed to the newel?
May be easier to scribe/sort if separate while doing the work, or as said, stick it on a small block
(I forget te term when used for skirting etc)

if both finial and architrave were off the wall, cutting in from the back might be easier

Yes all 3 items are not yet fixed (cap, finial, architrave).

It might be plinth blocks you're thinking of. I've just replaced nearly all architrave and skirting in the hall and landing, I had actually considered using plinth blocks between architrave and skirting, and if I had then using a plinth block with the finial would have been an easier way out.

Since the finial is a half-finial (flat back) I was able to put the back of it flat against the flat back of the architrave and draw around them. I clumsily cut it out the wrong side of the architrave and had to start again.

This is the third and last attempt:
PXL_20230912_093544432.jpgPXL_20230912_093627553.jpg

On this last attempt I've filed it down, then filled and filed again several times.

I've then given the architrave a few coats of primer, sanded then glossed (it's still not fixed to the wall yet). I think it's ready to stick everything permanently.

There's still a small gap all the way round. Once it's all stuck permanently, I worry that if I try to fill this gap then sand, prime, sand and gloss, I will end up with white paint on the finial - and the whole thing will look worse than it currently is.

Should I try fill the gap or leave as it is?

Last edited:
I agree with @foxhole, or I would put a block on the wall and mount the finial to that and finish the arch at the block - like a plinth block. Set the finial against the block. Personally I think a 3D scribe like that is always going to look a little odd.

I would probably have concluded that the flat top approach was correct, but you've done a great job, and you could get matching sealant. Taping the finial will control the sealant width on the finial side but enable you fill the gaps on the architrave side. The missus surely has the final say.

Blup

I agree with @foxhole, or I would put a block on the wall and mount the finial to that and finish the arch at the block - like a plinth block. Set the finial against the block. Personally I think a 3D scribe like that is always going to look a little odd.

Do you mean something like this? (temporary propped photo)

PXL_20230912_103124749.jpg

(Notes: I have another wider oak block which will match the width of the cap, it's just too thick to fit here for the photo. Also not planning to have the plinth block this tall, maybe extending no more than 12mm above the finial. The finial is raised and propped for the photo as it has dowel thing in the bottom.)

Despite all the hours of work I put into the architrave cut-out, I think this simple oak plinthed method is more pleasing to the eye. Does everyone agree?

Last edited:
Y - bit like that - painted white and same width as the post (or could also be oak finished )

The finial should be left off, just take the architrave down to the cap, it would look a lot better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back