Fitting Architrave around Half Newel Post Finial

The finial should be left off, just take the architrave down to the cap, it would look a lot better.

If I removed that finial then I think I'd need to remove them all to match, but it would mean a lot of money's worth of oak finials and caps wasted, and I'd need to buy new caps as the existing caps have been bored out for the finials to sit in. The caps are for chunky 115mm posts and the landing is a double 90mm post, so it will not be a cheap option.

I appreciate I'm in the minority, and it's not currently fashionable, but I like them and have always wanted to build my balustrade with fancy finials.

So far I think @mrrusty's solution of placing a plinth block behind the finial is what I want to go for. I prefer it in oak (I already have spare offcuts) and it will be easier to maintain when it comes to painting the white woodwork.

Should the top of the plinth block be bevelled to match the upper part of the cap?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If I removed that finial then I think I'd need to remove them all to match,
No you would not. Design is not about everything being identical. It's not about matching but about complementing and harmonizing.

Finials, or finals (the end, the last) are really for the exit/entrance to the stairs, not every single post around the stairs.

Alternatively, if you really wanted a finial in that location, you should have fitted a full post in that location and had the architrave behind a full finial.

Yes all 3 items are not yet fixed (cap, finial, architrave).

It might be plinth blocks you're thinking of. I've just replaced nearly all architrave and skirting in the hall and landing, I had actually considered using plinth blocks between architrave and skirting, and if I had then using a plinth block with the finial would have been an easier way out.

Since the finial is a half-finial (flat back) I was able to put the back of it flat against the flat back of the architrave and draw around them. I clumsily cut it out the wrong side of the architrave and had to start again.

This is the third and last attempt:
View attachment 313808View attachment 313809

On this last attempt I've filed it down, then filled and filed again several times.

I've then given the architrave a few coats of primer, sanded then glossed (it's still not fixed to the wall yet). I think it's ready to stick everything permanently.

There's still a small gap all the way round. Once it's all stuck permanently, I worry that if I try to fill this gap then sand, prime, sand and gloss, I will end up with white paint on the finial - and the whole thing will look worse than it currently is.

Should I try fill the gap or leave as it is?
I think that as you've spent some time reaching this point, you should go with it.
I personally like it, it shows dedication and when you'll look at it, will give some satisfaction knowing that you have done it.
For the gap around the joint, I would go like this.
Use sealant inside the gap when fitting, making sure it doesn't oozes out.
This will give a base for filler so it won't fall in.
Then use ronseal colour match filler, the medium shade would be perfect.
Fill the gap proud and then use a damp sponge to clean the excess.
You will need to go very lightly to avoid removing too much, practice will make perfect.
Then paint that line of filler for an invisible joint.
Yes, with time it might crack, but it will be easy to fill with flexible sealant.

There you go - several opinions and solution - all different, none of them wrong. Whatever you choose, you have the satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself.

Sponsored Links
Looks like a decent cut around the finial, if you're pleased with it then that's all that matters

I would have full architrave and shape the cap around it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back