Fitting bathroom shaver socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m contemplating getting a Waterpik (teeth are starting to give me problems, my own fault), but from what I’ve read the wired versions are much more effective.

Being a plonker I didn’t install any shaver sockets when we refurbed the house 12y ago :/ So I have nowhere to plug the damn thing in.

“Fortunately” the shelving next to the sink where I want to install it has a dressing table on the other side of the wall (in the bedroom). There is a fused spur (for dressing table lights) running off the upstairs ring main. I can “easily” drill through and run a cable to install the shaver socket.

So I was thinking, I could install another RCD on the bedroom side (belts and braces). Then install run a cable through and install the shaver socket. Distance to bath would be ~2m, distance to sink about ~1m.

Is there anything wrong with doing this?

Any help/guidance greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
And a further complication having done some reading of another thread on here.

Waterpik offer two different versions of their mains powered units. One with a 2 pin shave socket, one with standard plug which requires 45w. Some people claim the 2 pin version isn’t powerful enough :/

I’m thinking simplest would be to give the 2 pin version a try. Costco sell it, so I could return it easily. Yes I’d have gone through the hassle of installing the saver socket, but that would still save charging toothbrush/shaver in the bedroom.

Option 2, would it be within regs if I placed the Waterpik in the bathroom, but ran the cable outside and plugged it in to a standard socket in the bedroom (would probably still use a RCD protected plug).

The number of pins is surely an irrelevant coincidence.

Do you have links to the products?

I saw it mentioned on another older thread on here. Someone had bought the 3 pin version (45w) and another poster mentioned they do a new version compatible with UK shaver sockets. But the OP suggested it wasn’t as powerful.

Having had a look on the Waterpik site now it looks like in UK they only sell units compatible with shaver socket now. So I guess I should have paid attention to the age of the previous thread.

Sponsored Links
I have the Waterpik device that runs through a two pin plug (shaving socket). At the max setting, it will make my gums bleed.

Before purchasing it, I did look at the reviews of the battery powered version. The battery version, based on the reviews, was deemed to be underpowered.

*I am not an electician* If you have a RCD protection on the consumer unit, a sperate RCD may not kick in before the CU, and is therefore a waste of money, a (switched) fused spur unit with a 3amp fuse might be better.

Edit- I paid about £80-90.. It is an impressive unit, and it runs off my shaver socket without any issues.

Extra edit- I mentioned a 6amp fuse- I meant to say a 3amp fuse to go in the fused spur before the shaving socket..

Last edited:
It’s good to hear the Waterpik is up to scratch for you. I read similar about the battery powered units. I was actually thinking I’d grab it from Costco who regularly do a bundle with both for ~£60. That way I could leave one downstairs for impromptue cleaning, plus take it on hol/etc.

There is an 80A/30ma RCD on the CU protecting the upstairs ring main and a couple of other circuits. But given most of the cost will be my time (RCD/shaver sockets aren’t that expensive by comparison), I don’t see the harm in adding another one specifically at the point I split off into the bathroom.

I know it’s a lottery which one would trip. But if anything in the bathroom caused the RCD to trip, atleast there’s a chance the closer one may go and save dropping everything else upstairs. Plus you never know what someone may do at the CU in the future, so belts and braces doesn’t hurt?

I'll repeat from the above. Pointless having two RCDs on the same circuit.
there’s a chance the closer one may go and save dropping everything else upstairs.
Closeness to a potential fault has no bearing on which will trip. One RCD may have a faster trip characteristic and that one MIGHT trip first, it may be the other, it might be both. It may depend on there in the 50HZ sine wave the supply is at.
to properly discriminate RCDs it is done by TIME, not CURRENT. but not a suitable solution for this.
You are being over cautious. The shaver point itself is electrically separated from the supply circuit. That is why they are used to provide a safe output.

So....your plan otherwise is OK
BUT
if your shaver socket is to be inside one of the bathroom zones then installing anything electrical is NOTIFIABLE work. You'll need a registered electrician to do the work or you'll be looking at LABC involvement = £££

Finally (!) look CAREFULLY at the load requirements of your pick. Most shaver sockets have a maximum load of 20VA (watts) and are designed to charge devices, not power a mains-powered device. This extract from the MK shaver point info will give you a view of the issues:

*The design of this unit means that on no load the transformer output is allowed to be as high as 275V. This means that rechargeable shavers intended for use on the continent may be damaged by the inrush current created by this higher voltage. Rechargeable shavers with a wide range of input voltage should be recharged at 115V. Shavers manufactured for the UK are designed to be used with a transformer unit. Loads in excess of 20VA may cause the solid state overload to operate before shaving is completed. This is to protect the transformer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back