Fitting blinds -- need raw plugs if drilling into wood?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Sorry if this is the wrong section.

Basically, above my window recesses are some strips of wood designed (I think) for blinds to go there, and I'm gonna drill into these to fit my blinds. My question is: Do I need to use raw plugs?

I rang up B&Q and asked, and they said no, but then I read a leaflet about fitting blinds which said to use raw plugs even if you're drilling into wood. So I rang up the company I bought the blinds from, and they said to use raw plugs too.

I am clueless about all this, so maybe someone could advise. Should I or shouldn't I? :D

Sponsored Links
You dont need plugs to fit to wood, although if it were chipboard it may give a stronger fix.
Just dont drill the holes too big

To be honest, I don't know if it's chipboard or not.

But I'll try it without raw plugs. Thanks!

if you are unsure on what timber has been fitted may i suggest you pre drill holes 1st(smaller)then the size of the screw.

Sponsored Links
Does anyone drill pilot holes for screws nowadays? :rolleyes:

Just blast the screw in!

And do you use those quaint old grey wood screws with half threaded shank and a slot :p

Screwfix have sold me the idea that their numerous twin-thread, turbo, cutter, rifled etc etc screws don't need a pilot

if and a big if i know its a large chunk of timber im screwing into then im with you woody just blast them in,but if im unsure then i will pre drill,i wouldnt just put screws in say a door/frame without predrilling first.

i remember when i 1st went to my place of work and the manager opened the screw cupboard up and proceeded to give me numerous boxes of slotted screws :rolleyes: STUPID MAN.just because the old chippie used them he expected me to aswell,soon skipped em.

I've more or less standardised on Screwfix's single thread Turbo Gold screws now, as these seem to go in better without pre-drilling and with less chance of splitting than normal twin-threads

IMO, pre-drilling has its uses, but modern screws in softwood go in just as well without drilling

ill bear that in mind woody ;) but i have to use what the so called experts supply me with. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back