fitting card payments meters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i o have a house i rent ( by the room) i want to fit with prepaid card meters, just for the sockets. this is due to someone in the house using an electric fire, and driving up the bills for the other renters.
each floor ,there are three, as it's own ring main for sockets.
would it be possible to split the ring, so each room as 2 sockets . i am told this is possible, and not a major job ?
another person told me to get a electrian to downgrade the fuses supplying the sockets and they would trip when an electric fire was in use.
i would like some guidance before i speak to electrian
thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
It isn't possible to split a ring circuit so you have a lot of separate metered supply. You'd need to have the rooms wired as radials, probably better to have them individually supplied.

Is the house geared for HMO use?

It is not feasable to seperately meter a few sockets here and there, and it is not feasable to downrate the protection for the circuits either.

yes it is.
there is a fuse board on each floor, the sockets are on a 2.5 ring main, four on each floor ( 2 in each room).
what i am after is so each room , as a card meter just for the sockets and they have to purchase card off me.
thanks for replying

Sponsored Links
4 rooms per ring.

Split the ring giving 2 x radials of 2 sockets for 2 rooms.

You will then need to add 2 x radials for the other rooms.

The ring at 32a will be split to 2 x 20a radials and then you will need 2 x new 20a radials to the sockets existing in the rooms where the ring is no more.

You need to consider if you have 3 x spare ways on the existing floor CU.

there are presently two rooms per ring.
so will it be a case of just , split the ring ,giving 2 radials, one to each room.
thanks for help

each floor ,there are three, as it's own ring main for sockets.

the sockets are on a 2.5 ring main, four on each floor ( 2 in each room)

Make up your mind :)

If you have 2 x rings cover 4 x rooms, and each ring is covering JUST 2 rooms. Then split the rings, create 4 x 20a radials and away you go.

Where would you fit the meters ? adjacent to the 1st socket in each room, ?

So the converted ring, thats now a radial will have the cable to the 1st socket in each room fitted to the meter, with the cable out from the meter in to the 1st socket ?

having meters in room does give the tenant a chance to tamper and bypass without you seeing it, so placement is important unless you can get security screws that the tenant can't open or better still some form of secuirty lock on the meter to prevent by pass.

An EIC will be required for all 4 circuits created.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back