fitting doors diy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been asked to fit a new front door for a friend who owns the property which she rents out on a complex.
She is told by the complex manager that all the flats numbering 12 on the site need new doors but states that any new doors must be of the same design and must have planning permission and be fitted by a registered craftsman.Can anyone advise me as to whether this is right because if it is then I cannot replace my own front door.

Mike

Sponsored Links
This doesn't sound unusual, however it would be best to make a quick call th your local council planning dept and explain what you are doing. If they insist on making an application, you can apply for a lawful developement consent as opposed to planning permission, it costs around half the amount!

Ask the complex manager why they need planning permission. Does he have a clue or is he just saying it?

PP is only normally required in extreme cases where there is a specific condition on the original permision for the complex to maintain the doors to a certain style or character.

Its very rare to need PP to change a door - very rare

The more possible reason is that the complex owners want to maintain a certain style to maintain the look of the developent for commercial reasons.

Your friend should check the terms of any lease, as this should define what can and can't be done.

The registered craftsman bit is again related to the lease and/or commercial agreement. In any case, its a nonsense statement as what does this craftsman have to be registered with - the Kennel Club, this forum, Air Miles? The important thing is that the work is done correctly and its an unenforceable statement. Who does the work is irrelevent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back