Fitting double glazed units in wooden frames

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some fixed (do not open) single glazed windows in wooden frames that have been recently refurbished. I wish to convert them to double glazed units for the purpose of temperature insulation and prevent condensation.

I have had to rule out secondary glazing as the frames in the market are too large for my windows. I am thinking of the DG units that you can buy from your local glazing supplier (are they any good?). Removing the existing glass panes involves having to damage the wooden frames and then having to refurbish them again.

Question: is it possible to fit the DG units -on the inside I presume- leaving the existing window panes in place thus turning them into "triple glazed" units? The existing window panes are in good condition. Any potential problems like mechanical or condensation and is there a solution?

If this is possible, what is the best way to mount the DG units? I understand that they need a good mechanical fitting as well as the putty/silicone used to seal them.Do they need to be removable?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
frediaz said:
I have some fixed (do not open) single glazed windows in wooden frames that have been recently refurbished. I wish to convert them to double glazed units for the purpose of temperature insulation and prevent condensation.
The double glazing unit cannot reduce the moisture or condensation in the room, only you can do that !

The double glazed unit will trap the moisture even more so therefore it will find another cool surfaces to condense on.

You maybe better off to still have a single glazed but a heat resistance glass instead.

yes but I still need to resolve the problem of heat loss

Unless the windows are 20 feet across, I doubt you'd ever see a saving in energy costs by replacing them with DG units. You'd only end up replacing them after 10 years or so when the seals go. You'll be spending more money than you'll save.

If you have condensation problems, then you must consider ventilating your house.

Sponsored Links
I am getting the feeling that I am being told that double glazing is not worth it... :confused: even if I resolve the matter of condensation in another way.

By the way, is energy saving glass as good (or better) than double glazing?

Tom and masona have told you what the facts are about condensation and heat loss with double glazing. We have double glazing because of fashion and the Kyoto agreement means the government now tells us we must have it. It is expensive and ineffective as well as causing health problems now houses are sealed up to save heat, and wealth problems as the sealed units break down and condensation forms inside.. It really comes down to a choice, you can be warm and sick, or cool and healthy. Unless you have a fire, either open (not so good) or a stove (better), in which case you can sit in front of it and keep warm.

ok my thrupence worth

double glazing is for reduced condensation increased comfort
reduced heating bills enviromently freindly ect

now the problems you have is you need quite a large gap
between the panes of glass to be efficiant

in general the rebate you need for double glazing is about 20mm

so you would have a problem making the sums work

but basicly i think youve got to ask your local glaziers or d/g showroom

big all

big-all said:
the rebate you need for double glazing is about 20mm
You can have a double glazed unit to fit into the single glass rebate.

The outer glass size is bigger depending on the rebate size of the window and the 2nd glass is smaller to sit inside the window frame so it look like a rebate double glazed unit.

Magnet used to do them from Boulton & Paul Co.

cant be much of an air[gas] gap then

or does it actualy ovelap beyond the rebate towards the
inside of the window

big curious all

big-all said:
cant be much of an air[gas] gap then
6mm spacer bar, total thickness 12mm
or does it actualy ovelap beyond the rebate towards the
inside of the window
Yes, then finish off with the internal beading. Not suitable for some window.

I must admit I don't know if it's still available but I sure the glazier can make one up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back