Fitting External PIR Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I thought this would be a straight forward task but have fallen at the first hurdle.

I bought a replacement external security light and went to fit it yesterday. The new light only has live, neutral and earth.

I've attached the wiring from the existing light. I think I'm happy with the earth, netural and live - but the black wire has me thrown. The new light has no space to hide/tape off additional wires.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I would fit the new light?

Thanks,
David

Attachments

• 20200622_182509.jpg
    20200622_182509.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 259
Sponsored Links
There could be a couple of ways to wire it.

Is there a switch? If so, show a picture of the wiring in it.

As it is, the black wire obviously does nothing.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The power cable doesn't go to a switch as such but into a "control board"... sorry my terminology is terrible.

I've attached a photo to hopefully explain.

Thanks,
David

Attachments

• 20200624_180324.jpg
    20200624_180324.jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 226
Unfortunately we do not have X-ray vision. We need to see the other end of the cable to determine what and where and if the black cable connects.

If it terminates inside that consumer unit, then please carefully, turn off the main switch (thats the big one on the right`)
remove the front cover and send a pic of the end of that cable.

Sponsored Links
The black wire needs to be terminated safely, if only in a seperate connector block completely on it's own.

Assuming your photo is of the new light, that terminal marked LS may well provide some kind of over-ride facility.

Pictures of the old light and the new light instructioms may help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back