Fitting Fascias

No one's wearing any ppe, even eye protection so carried on with my sunglasses, did want to look out of place in my safely specs. The guy I'm helping is on shorts , trainers and t shirt.
I've never worked on building sites so will no doubt get ridiculed for saying this. I get you want to fit in with your peers, however just because they're maybe not adhering to guidance around things like ppe doesn't mean you have to follow. Cliche but you get one pair of eyes, hands, lungs etc so I'd be aiming to protect them as much as possible.

Sponsored Links
I agree. There are idiots everywhere who think they know better, and who may get away with it for years. Where I'm working now I'm not wearing a hard hat or steelies most of the time (because I'm on my jack snagging in completed houses most of which are carpeted so there is no risk - although I am breaking the rules). But as soon as I go outside to traverse the site it's hard hat and steelies because there are all kinds of hazards out there such a a telehandler, scaffolding, guys working overhead, etc. I've patched up a few injuries over the years so I know full well that with the OP's oppos it's only a matter of time...

OP I believe you were told that you need either fingerless or framers (2 finger, like below) gloves for joinery work.

20220531_120614.jpg

Taking gloves off all the time to take a measure is a PIA

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
I know, last one I had (5 or 6 years ago) was in the thigh. But for any open wound on site it is still highly advisable to have a shot if you aren't up to date

I believe that the NHS no longer bother giving you a jab after your 5th one. You are considered to have full immunity.

I discovered that after a 50 something mate of mine was involved in fight involving a very rusty samurai sword.

I have had 4, each of them required me to drop my trousers.

I have had 4, each of them required me to drop my trousers.
Careful, now, you'll have people thinking that you're enjoying it...

I don't know how many I've had, but I have been to hospital several times because of things off the job, so maybe 4 or 5

I've never worked on building sites so will no doubt get ridiculed for saying this. I get you want to fit in with your peers, however just because they're maybe not adhering to guidance around things like ppe doesn't mean you have to follow. Cliche but you get one pair of eyes, hands, lungs etc so I'd be aiming to protect them as much as possible.
I totally agree.
I've always been the p#ssy wearing harness, hat, gloves, ear defenders, mask (the proper one), etc.
Then to date I still have all my fingers, never fell from height, never cracked my head open, hear perfectly and my lungs work as intended despite years of tobacco.
Many others I know can't say the same.
Even nowadays in my own house I use ppe.
I don't wear a hard hat, in fact I don't even know if I still have one, but always wear gloves and mask when necessary.
When I do "clean" jobs I wear orange gloves (the thin ones) and my hands remain soft and clean.

Of course the other elephant in the room is the HSE. If they walk on site (and they no longer need to give notice of an inspection these days), and you get caught not using PPE, it gets very expensive. Where I was today there was an H&S notice stating that a walking inspector had come on site atca job in Manchester and caught a joiner using a mitre saw without a vacuum, and not wearing a hard hat, eye protection, ear protection or an appropriate mask. That was 5 infractions, so possibly about £700 to £800 fine for him, plus the site supervisor would have got a fine and the main contractor, too. And you never know which twitching neighbour's curtain might hide a confidential informant (not everybody loves builders)

But hey, fitting in is waaay more important than personal safety any day of the week, isn't it? But then I have the advantage of being old enough that you'd be a brave man to try to tell me not to wear the PPE I deem necessary - I'm also bright enough that if I walk onto a site such as the OP's where H&S is almost non-existent, I tend to just get back in the van smartish and leave. There are plenty of sites where they do want you to go home safe every night, so there is no need to work for unprincipled, ignorant wide boys

Last edited by a moderator:
I always wear SuperTouch NitroTouch gloves nowadays. They're close fitting, vented on the top so your hands don't sweat and allow great dexterity for all work. The nitrile type are a lot more hard wearing than vinyl.

Knee pads slotted into the work trousers are also standard now.

Just don't get me started on tracky bottoms on site. :censored:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back