Fitting floodlight - Help/advice/options.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I would like to fit a mini security light (150W) to an outside wall. The first method of connection I was thinking of was to run a cable to the double socket in the car port and fit a FCU. However on closer inspection it appears that the double socket in the carport is a spur (taken direct from the CU?) and not part of the rings main. So that's a no no then.

Can this socket/wiring be utilised/converted. I was thinking of replacing the double socket with a unit comprising of a FCU and a single socket. Does such a device exist? I think I have come across cooker units which appear to have a FCU and a socket built in the one unit, but these are rating at 45A.

Needless to say that we need at least one socket in the carport. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

T

Sponsored Links
A cooker switch/socket is simply a 45 amp SWITCH and a 13A socket taken as a spur. There are no fuses involved. ;)

It is not possible to get an FCU/socket combination, however, you can replace the socket with an FCU and feed everything from this.

Many thanks for your reply. Am I right in saying that from the FCU I can have two separate connections, one to the security light and another connection to a socket, with 1.5mm TE for the light and a 2.5mm cable to the socket?

Assuming the above is correct, what fuse should be used in the FCU. Originally I was planning to insert a 3A fuse as the light accepts a 150W at most. But the appliance that will be plugged into the socket (normally) is a tumble dryer (drier?), rated at aprrox 2KW, I will need to double check that. So a 3A fuse will not be sufficient? Would it be bad practice to use a 13A fuse if connecting a 150W device?

Cheers,

T.

From the first FCU (with a 13A fuse), feed a socket. Then carry on to another FCU (3 amp) for your lighting. ;)

Sponsored Links
Hi, thanks for the reply. Upon closer inspection the carport socket (single 2.5mm cable) goes back to the CU and a 20A MCB. Am I right in saying that this is then a simple radial circuit?

I have spent a while reading previous posts and it appears that I can go down the route of leaving the original double socket in place, connecting a FCU using 2.5mm and on the load side of the FCU connect the light using 1.5mm cable. Is this correct or does the following below the way to go?

From the first FCU (with a 13A fuse), feed a socket. Then carry on to another FCU (3 amp) for your lighting. ;)

Cheers,

T.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back