Fitting gauge to oil tank?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought this cheap gauge to help a friend out (I have a Watchman myself, but my generosity doesn't stretch that far), but can't figure out the best way to fit it.

It has a threaded neck, but no kind of nut or anything to tighten from inside the tank. The instructions simply say it fits a 1½BSP hole, but the hole would surely have to be tapped with a corresponding thread?

Am I missing something obvious?

Anybody fitted one of these?

gauge.jpg

Sponsored Links
That gauge is really intended for a steel tank that would have a suitable threaded socket already welded on.
You will struggle if it's a plastic tank.
I knew a guy who used to run a 12 tanker oil delivery company.
He always insisted best oil tank gauge was a broom handle.

I bought this cheap gauge to help a friend out (I have a Watchman myself, but my generosity doesn't stretch that far), but can't figure out the best way to fit it.

It has a threaded neck, but no kind of nut or anything to tighten from inside the tank. The instructions simply say it fits a 1½BSP hole, but the hole would surely have to be tapped with a corresponding thread?

Am I missing something obvious?

Anybody fitted one of these?

You could buy a fitting with 1½BSPF one end, the other determined by how you could fit it to the tank. eg if it's a flat top tank, you could use a flange. Make a hole to take the float, and bolt the flange on.

What's this thing? I don't suppose there's a 1½" hole under it perchance...

Access is awkward (there's a fence in the way) and I didn't have a screwdriver, so couldn't investigate...

20230328_123851.jpg

Sponsored Links
What's this thing? I don't suppose there's a 1½" hole under it perchance...

Access is awkward (there's a fence in the way) and I didn't have a screwdriver, so couldn't investigate...

View attachment 299436
No, that's for an Apollo ultrasonic gauge https://www.bes.co.uk/apollo-ultrasonic-oil-level-monitoring-unit-17899/

You can't fit the one you've bought to that tank. As you've already deduced, it requires a 1½" threaded hole and plastic tanks just don't have those. You could potentially drill such a hole if you could find a 1½" backnut but I wouldn't fancy your chances on making it watertight.

Thanks Andrew - well, I managed to get a refund for the gauge, but this is a charity job so I don't fancy lashing out on an expensive unit.

I'll buy her a big long bamboo!

There's a non-working Watchman on eBay for a few quid, and part of me thinks maybe take a chance on it just being the internal battery, or an obviously burnt out resistor or something... but such chances rarely pay off :sleep:

I used to use a brush pole. It's a rough guide and gives a good estimate of how much oil you have left. I found the problem was the oil would wick up the pole so it's not accurate if you want a definitive reading.

I've now bought a 1metre aluminium rule and, because my tank is approximately 42" deep, added a wooden handle to the end. I now get accurate readings and can calculate how many litres are in the tank. Try to get a rule with the numbers stamped into the metal as printed numbers soon wash away when you wipe it dry, (and even if you don't wipe it!).

I used to use a brush pole. It's a rough guide and gives a good estimate of how much oil you have left. I found the problem was the oil would wick up the pole so it's not accurate if you want a definitive reading.

I've now bought a 1metre aluminium rule and, because my tank is approximately 42" deep, added a wooden handle to the end. I now get accurate readings and can calculate how many litres are in the tank. Try to get a rule with the numbers stamped into the metal as printed numbers soon wash away when you wipe it dry, (and even if you don't wipe it!).
Aye quite right, but this is a young mother, and realistically, unless I can make it REALLY easy (like a gauge), I'll be down bleeding the oil line again in a couple of months :cautious:

With mine ( I have an Apollo too, which doesn’t like the cold) I cut into the 10 mm outlet pipe, inserted a tee and a tap and connected that to a polythene pipe running inside a piece of self adhesive trunking (leaving the capping piece off).
The trunking sticks to the outside of the tank.
I’ve also put a drain in so the pipe doesn’t discolour.
And yes, I’m a sad B’stard who really needs to get out more!
John

With mine ( I have an Apollo too, which doesn’t like the cold) I cut into the 10 mm outlet pipe, inserted a tee and a tap and connected that to a polythene pipe running inside a piece of self adhesive trunking (leaving the capping piece off).
The trunking sticks to the outside of the tank.
I’ve also put a drain in so the pipe doesn’t discolour.
And yes, I’m a sad B’stard who really needs to get out more!
John
I thought about finding a way to do that to ours but, as we are renting, thought best not to tamper with the tank of fittings.
Think I'll have a chat with my good landlord. (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back