Titan LP1200 oil tank weeping connection...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anybody investigated how the connection is made on the feed pipe coming out of a Titan LP1200 oil tank.

This tank is about 11 years old and has been recently moved and connected back up. After filling the tank with heating oil a slight weep was noted at the junction between the metal pipe going into the tank and the tank itself. I have now used up all the heating oil (it's empty now) so I could investigate the connection.

I was hoping to see a big nut on the inside (although didn't know how I would get to it!) but looking through the "hatch" that doesn't appear to be the case. (although it may be a special shaped nut or something, can't see clearly).

It may also be the pipe coming out is threaded into the tank itself but I'm loathed to put a pair of stilsons on it to tighten it until I know better.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
I did and they said tighten the nut or replace the washers...... unfortunately I can't see either on my tank???? I replied saying this but they didnt get back to me.

Calling the local installer of these tanks said the tank needs replacing???

Hence my request on here for further info.... confused....

New Oil tank required (OFTEC recommend ALL plastic Tanks are replaced every FIFTEEN YEARS!!!) :cry:

I would suggest putting in a Steel tank ;)

Sponsored Links
These tanks are a rotational moulding, and I believe the connection outlet is meant to be locked in place as the thing is made...and avoid at all costs the large nut slackening when you are connecting the thing up. I've just installed a bunded Harlequin to my own house.....bigger than the old steel one and half the capacity - and Jeez what a weight :eek: I don't relish replacing it after 15 years either. Cost a grand :confused:

What I don't like about plastic Tanks is
1) Very poor resistance to heat & Fire!
2) Suffer Catostrophic failure causing major pollution incidents
3) eventually breakdown in sunlight

Steel tanks on the otherhand suffer nonew of the above, just keep them well painted and if you do get a leak it'l only be a small drip, so you can stick a bucket under it while you sort out a repalcement

GIVE Me STEEL Tanks anytime!!! ;)

Another pic perhaps.

Steel are better, but you need to build a bund around them.

Posted images of the weeping connection into my album....

Will try to link them to the topic...

Looks like it worked, more images in my album...

Ok, I bit the bullet and attempted to unscrew the fitting into the tank, after speaking to a few local plumbers/oil tank suppliers.

Thankfully it came out clean! and yes, it was a bit slack.... hence the very minor weep. Anyway looks like I DON'T have to buy a new tank thank goodness!!

Nice clean threads....

Note metal insert on tank with nice clean threads.... The plastic spigot in hole on tank goes inside the threaded fitting on pipe that screws in.

Now I'm wondering what is the best way to seal it again... I have "hawk white", blue hematite, red hematite, dumdum, low modulus silicon, high mod silicon, caulking, "plumbers mait", liquid metal,. My tub of stag has gone off! and I haven't got any Rocol Oil Seal! I was going to use one of the above with PTFE tape.

I did try JUST the PTFE tape but even with about 5 or 6 turns the fitting was still relatively slack?? So thought some form of sealer would help..

Probably pop into town tomorrow to get something....

Any ideas?

You will need to be VERY CAREFULL using any liquid sealant, without consulting Titan first, Many liquid sealants will effect the plastic tank and could cause it to Fail, I fear you may have just Buggered your tank :(

You will need to be VERY CAREFULL using any liquid sealant, without consulting Titan first, Many liquid sealants will effect the plastic tank and could cause it to Fail, I fear you may have just b*****r your tank :(

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Why is that then? :?: I tried PTFE tape which I think is relatively inert... but it didn't feel like it got a good hold. (just not enough tape I think, NOT stripped threads or anything like, threads are fine)

There is a metal insert moulded into the tank so the fitting doesn't thread directly into the plastic... Hey, you don't work for a tank supplier do you? LOL...

Everything came apart cleanly, no stripped threads or anything. The threaded fitting I took out had PTFE tape on the threads which I cleaned off for the pictures...

Just spoken by telephone to Mr. Titan Tanks Technical Dept, told him what I had done, ie unscrewed the connector, and he said to use only PTFE tape to seal it, no pastes or sealers.

No comment from him about "b*******g" up the tank, or requiring a new tank or anything, thank goodness...
:D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :)

THATS BECAUSE HE TOLD YOU NOT TO USE SEALANTS YOU MUPPET!!!!

Just do and fix your poxy tank and stop spoiling for a fight :mad:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back