Fitting Hinges to a ledged braced framed gate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought a garden gate and i want to fit tee hinges what side? side A or Side B its confusing because of the way the braces are running.
door.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Traditionally its B - the brace rises from the hinge.
Use 3 galvanised Tees if you can, I like to put at least a couple of bolts in.
John :)

Last edited:
A Tee hinge is very inferior. Use hook and band. The length should be one third the width of the door. Paint before fitting.

williamtell, good evening.

My first impression was side A.

Not clear from the image posted but? is that a sort of a cap on the top [as photographed]

The other give away is that the bottom cross bar is mounted above the bottom of the boards?

Ken..

Sponsored Links
Well that's confused him....:whistle:
The bottom of the door is left that way so it can be trimmed to length, and traditionally the braces would rise the same way......with the nails clinched over!
By all means use crook and bands but bear in mind they can have quite a clearance where the crook peg enters - which sometimes needs them set at a slight angle to compensate.
John :)

I think the Manufacturer was confused to start with??

It just does not look correct at all?

Ken

It's made to be universal - manufacturers did that so the braces didn't have to be left loose.

One of the braces will be acting in compression whichever way it's hung

it looks like a cap at the top, if that's the case then you have no choice.

the bottoms of the braces are supposed to be on the hinge side, so that when the door sags (it will) the weight is transferred to the supported hinge stile.

The braces often come from the works loosely pinned and can be pulled off (or will fall off) so they can be re-fixed in the correct orientation. They should be a tight fit, as any slack will allow initial sagging.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back