fitting joists in steel RSJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone

first post, so go easy :). I'm having an extension done to my existing terraced house they are currently adding in the joists for the first floor. Initially they got the joists wrong because of the span length with 7" X 2" C16 wood was too long so they have added in another steel lintel across. The joists are now sitting in the lintel which was welded onsite to the other steel beam.

But the cut angle on the joists, are they supposed to be way out like that? meaning they are not flush with the lintel
They are all bridged twice.

sgtrep.jpg
sgtrep.jpg
[/IMG]

any thoughts appreciated...

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Steels are a serious business, & Its hard to comment on your steels & whats been done and why - & I can only see a bit of the picture.

Typically, in-fill timbers are bolted between webs and joist hangers are hung from the in-fill timbers.
Your joists have been slightly overnotched, and some of the saw cuts have run-on a little.
Are some of the joists in two pieces?

With excess steel in a floor it could create difficulties for running pipework and cables.
Do you have section views showing the fire proofing plasterboard, and the sub-floor?

the steel was calculated to hold the first floor, which is not a problem. they are sitting on pad stones and are all fine..

Its the notches in the Joists. why are they out so much and not flush with the steel..do they look OK. Obviously its only as weak and its weakest point and im thinking that the extra cut in is poor work, or maybe this is standard..

The cuts are crap. Now, your joists are effectively performing as a joist 50mm less deep due to that excessive cut.

I would get the builders to glue and screw/nail a 12mm ply sheet to both sides of the joists to reinforce them over that cut and notch. From inside the steel web up to that noggin.

Sponsored Links
I like the fact that he has overrun with saw making them even weaker. As said crap notching.

The cuts are crap. Now, your joists are effectively performing as a joist 50mm less deep due to that excessive cut.

I would get the builders to glue and screw/nail a 12mm ply sheet to both sides of the joists to reinforce them over that cut and notch. From inside the steel web up to that noggin.

i don't understand the glue and screw nail with ply sheet. where the notches are out, screw the plywood into both joists?

@ Woods and Nose - agree that the notching is rubbish, but it won't cause a structural problem in practice. The bending moment at the end will be zero, the only issue will be shear stress, and if 4"-5" of the joist is left, that will be more than adequate.

@ Woods and Nose - agree that the notching is rubbish, but it won't cause a structural problem in practice. The bending moment at the end will be zero, the only issue will be shear stress, and if 4"-5" of the joist is left, that will be more than adequate.

so should i just tell them to watch their carpentry skills in future?

Whether there is a structural issue or not, it will at least teach them not to be crap in the future, as there is a cost to it.

IMO, the notches are wrong, the joist is weaker, and it should be rectified. The OP is paying for a proper job, not a "oh, that'll-do job".

Whether there is a structural issue or not, it will at least teach them not to be crap in the future, as there is a cost to it.

IMO, the notches are wrong, the joist is weaker, and it should be rectified. The OP is paying for a proper job, not a "oh, that'll-do job".

Quite right in principle; and I wouldn't like anyone working on my place to do stuff like that because it would make me wonder what else they have messed up.
But 'weaker' is a nebulous term in this context and - if we took a strictly anal approach to this issue - no SE could prove that the floor is structurally unsound.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back