Fitting LV downlights in ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wand to put two low voltage downlights into a downstairs wc. I also need to fit a pull switch as it will be in the wc room. unfortunatley the area above the ceiling is covered by the bath so I won't be able (easily) to lift the boards above.

As its low voltage is it ok just to run this above the plaster board in the ceiling and only hole the boards where I need to feed the cable under the joists? If not how should this be done without too much damage.

Also any advice as to how to support the pull switch if there is not a joist nearby? Would toggle screws in the plaster board be strong enough?

TIA

Sponsored Links
cables must be 50 mm from top or bottom of joists minimum

Sponsored Links
THINK HE IS ON ABOUT STITCHING CABLES UNDER JOISTS

EGTTBR, Page 31, section 2.3.2

Cables passing through a joist should be at least 50mm from the top or bottom as appropriate or enclosed in earthed steel conduit.

Wasnt shouting just crap at computers far to many buttons numbers letters symbols dots ........... :eek: :LOL:

if you can get some of the boards up you can drill your holes for the lights and switch and fish the cables in and out ect maybe kinda hard to know without seeing it

THINK HE IS ON ABOUT STITCHING CABLES UNDER JOISTS
Actually, I interpreted his post as refering to the bits of wire between joists dangling onto the plasterboard, especially where they meet a hidden junction box (none of which are fixed to joists and too dangle onto the plasterboard) thus not meeting the 5cm guideline.

BTW, isn't it 50mm from the surface, therefore takes into account the plasterboard and floorboard?

BTW, isn't it 50mm from the surface, therefore takes into account the plasterboard and floorboard?

Cables passing though the joist shall be at least 50mm from the top or bottom. No mention of ceiling or plasterboard so assume it's 50mm from top or bottom of the joist.

50 mm from top or bottom of joists or metal conduit the question says :eek:nly hole the boards where i need to go through the joists: maybe it would be best to be there :rolleyes:

Wasnt shouting just rubbish at computers far to many buttons numbers letters symbols dots ........... :eek: :LOL:
59718016_ec8d864481.jpg

Thanks for responses. So just to clarify I need to drill a hole at least 50mm from bottom of joist or preferrably the centre. And this is required even for low voltage cable (i.e. the LV output from transformer)?

I guess with the help of an extension to a flat wood bit this would not cause too much damage as long as I get the angle right and don't make too much of a mess.

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back