Fitting new cistern components - leak advice!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I'm using one of those cistern replacement kits, where you take out the old float valve and all the rest of it, and put in new components. But the problem is I had to undo all the other fittings that joined the cistern - like the old overflow, and the existing water supply pipe.

Now I'm doing them up again, of course they are leaking - and that's before I've even turned the water on again. The overflow is plastic fittings which tighten around the base of the cistern, and the supply pipe is a metal nut which screws onto the new plastic fitting.

What are my options for sealing these please? Sorry if this is obvious to you but I am new to plumbing and appreciate any good advice!

Sponsored Links
NBee said:
Hi all.

I'm using one of those cistern replacement kits ...

Now I'm doing them up again, of course they are leaking - and that's before I've even turned the water on again. The overflow is plastic fittings which tighten around the base of the cistern, and the supply pipe is a metal nut which screws onto the new plastic fitting.

What are my options for sealing these please? Sorry if this is obvious to you but I am new to plumbing and appreciate any good advice!

GRC - Did the overflow come supplied with a rubber washer? If so, did you install this inside the cistern? If it didn't come with a washer, go back to the supplier and ask for one.

Likewise the washer (if supplied) for the float valve (bottom entry? into the base of the cistern?) should go inside the cistern.

Where exactly are they leaking from? The area around where they meet the cistern, or from the threads?

Also, you did put a new fibre washer between the supply pipe and the plastic of the float valve, didn't you?

Regard, Graham

GRC said:
Also, you did put a new fibre washer between the supply pipe and the plastic of the float valve, didn't you?

Regard, Graham

No - I didn't know about this washer. Guess I have to try and find one quick...

Also the old plastic overflow which goes through the base of the cistern will leak (I know it will as I had to scrape off all the old sealant to undo it...)

Use plumbers mait on the porcelain holes.
Roll into a thin sausage and place both sides of hole. :D

Sponsored Links
sorry to butt in, would there be anything wrong with using genuine silicone sealant?

Another bank holiday DIY disaster :(

Apart from the leaks, the new flushing system isn't working.

When I test the flush, loads of water pours out of the gap between the cistern and the toilet bowl - where the two join together. Now I've probably flooded the downstairs neighbours too. It never used to do that, and there's not really any difference in the way the new flush works, so why should it do that?

NBee said:

When I test the flush, loads of water pours out of the gap between the cistern and the toilet bowl - where the two join together. Now I've probably flooded the downstairs neighbours too. It never used to do that, and there's not really any difference in the way the new flush works, so why should it do that?

GRC - Jeez, you're not having a good time of it, are you? Did you take the cistern off the wall? If so, you would have noticed a ring-shaped large washer between the cistern and the pan (which may have been bent out of shape over the years) - this is the 'doughnut' which keeps the water within the cistern/pan joint. If you removed the cistern and replaced it without replacing the doughnut, it's most likely that the cistern isn't sitting exactly where it used to on the doughnut.

Fix is to remove the cistern again, take all traces of the old doughnut away, put new one in and replace cistern. You'll have to disconnect the water supply and overflow again to do this, so it'll give you the chance to put that fibre washer in the supply pipe.....

Regards, Graham

NBee said:
Also the old plastic overflow which goes through the base of the cistern will leak (I know it will as I had to scrape off all the old sealant to undo it...)

GRC - What was the motive for replacing all this stuff? Was the float valve not working, the flush not working, or both?

In the case of the above, you may have had an overflow supplied in the kit, but was it REALLY necessary to replace the overflow? i.e. if it was watertight already, it would still have been watertight after you replaced the flush valve and the float valve.....

Just a thought.

Regards, Graham

The flush wasn't working.

So we bought one of those nice and easy (ahem) flush replacement kits.

Having researched more and seen inside, I think it was simply a worn flap valve. But to replace any of that means taking the cistern off, and to take the cistern off meant undoing the overflow.

Now it's buggered.

GRC said:
NBee said:

GRC - Jeez, you're not having a good time of it, are you? Did you take the cistern off the wall? If so, you would have noticed a ring-shaped large washer between the cistern and the pan (which may have been bent out of shape over the years) - this is the 'doughnut' which keeps the water within the cistern/pan joint. If you removed the cistern and replaced it without replacing the doughnut, it's most likely that the cistern isn't sitting exactly where it used to on the doughnut.

Fix is to remove the cistern again, take all traces of the old doughnut away, put new one in and replace cistern. You'll have to disconnect the water supply and overflow again to do this, so it'll give you the chance to put that fibre washer in the supply pipe.....

Regards, Graham

Hmmm. Makes sense Graham - but I don't recall there being any such 'donut' washer when I took it off... I'll go look but I'm pretty sure.

Any plumbers in north london?!

Could just be an old syphonic pan, and the new type components won't work anyway.

Well I kind of got there in the end, 7pm last night.

I found the donut washer, fitted that. And for all the leaks, well in the end I just gave them some welly (despite the fact that the instruction manuals keep stressing 'do not overtighten - hand tight only')....once I got a decent spanner on them it seemed to do the job.

The only remaining minor problem is that after the float valve kicks in and the water in the cistern is at the correct level, some water seems very slowly to be let in, so that the level always rises slowly to the overflow level. Not very environmentally friendly obviously, but not a big issue. I'm not sure what I can do to stop that.

Adjust the float valve.
There is a screw which you turn to let more or less water in.
Play with it until you get the correct shut off at required water level. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back