Fitting new electric fire into existing gas fire surround

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

We have just moved into a house & in the living room there is a gas fire with marble heath & white wood surround. Due to having dogs & small nephews & niece we would like to replace the existing gas fire with an electric fire.

Our issue is that we don't want to replace the existing surround as a) its still in good nick b) we actually like it c) the laminte flooring fits snug around the marble hearth d) its expensive to replace it all.

So our quandry is how to hid the electric cable so its not visible, especially as the nearest plug socket is right in the corner of the round.

I should also say that its a modern house with no chimney at all as the fire is on a flat wall which is the gable end of the property.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them!

Many thanks
Mrs MacP

Sponsored Links
You could take a feed from a near by socket, connect this to a switched fused connection unit (S/FCU) installed close by to the where the fire is going to be mounted, hard wire the fires flex to the S/FCU, the flex could be routed through wall and the S/FCU will give a good means of not only functional operation but also isolation.

Hi PrenticeBoyofDerry,

Just a quick thank you for the quick response. We took your advice and purchased a new fire which has been installed as you suggested. The wires nicely hidden away & we got a chrome S/FCU from screwfix which sits nicely next to the chrome fire. It all works perfectly & I'm really pleased so thanks for a top suggestion! :D

Sponsored Links
No worries mrsmacp,
I am pleased you are happy with the new installation and it is ascetically pleasing and also you considered my advise helpful.
Thank you for your reply and kind words.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back