Fitting new rad over weekend...

G

Goldspoon

Hi all,

Am fitting a new rad over the weekend. Basically we have a new build part of house and pipework for rads is in situ but no rads fitted. Above the combi boiler, sticking out of the ceiling, are two "stumps" of 22mm (flow and return) and I will connect these to the existing flow and return, close to the boiler, that at the moment whiz off elsewhere in the house (plumber who did new build part of house has informed me that this is correct to do this). Water will flow upstairs via the 22mm and under the bedroom floor. In the bedroom are four bits of 10mm sticking out the floor ready for two new rads - I am going to cap these for the moment as will fit these rads later. Teed off the system under the floor is some 15mm flow and returns and these go off and back downstairs to our "drying room". It is in this drying room I am fitting the new rad.

Question is... when I refill system water will rush up 22mm and through pipes in bedroom floor and then find the tee and go off to rad downstairs - but won't air get trapped in system because of the "dead ends" caused by the capped off tail pipes on the bedroom rads? Should I fit bleed screws (not sure what they are called) to the four bits of pipe sticking up rather than just cap them?

Make sense?

Sponsored Links
Yes fit vents to these upstands - it will make filling quicker since less chance of air locks. Don't forget the cleaner and inhibitor. When cleaning the new pipework and rad keep the boiler temperature low (say 50 max) to help reduce scale deposition on the heat exchanger.

Thanks. Do I really have to use cleanser AND then inhibitor?

If you don't mind the mineral oils in the radiator rotting the O rings in the boiler or the flux chlorides coroding the system etc etc then no you don't need to bother with cleaning/flushing. And if you don't mind the system corroding itself to death then don't bother with inhibitor either. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Point taken! Will use both :) Thank you very much for your help - much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back