Fitting noggins with framing nailer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fitting some 220mm floor joists and associated wooden noggins, and wondering if it's best practice to use a framing nailer with 90mm nails for this.

The reason I ask is that in some cases I might want to use the noggins to pull out a twist in the joist, for which I'd normally use 100mm #5 screws. I can clamp the joist straight before nailing, but then will they hold. Any tips - such as skew nailing, 3 nails in each side?

Sponsored Links
Annular nails would help but are they that badly twisted.

Surely if you are nogging every joist properly, then just by placing the noggins in tightly will pull the twists out, and all the nails are doing its preventing gravity affecting the noggins?

Sponsored Links
There’s only so much a noggin can do to untwist a joist surely? No matter how tight you ram it in

They're mostly straight (maybe 5mm out at most) with the odd one being 10 or 15mm perhaps.

I'll noggin as I go along otherwise the hangers will be installed out of plumb, so ramming them all in at the end doesn't work for me unless I'm missing something?

So you’re fitting the noggin before the hanger at one end? You’re doing a more through job than me. I’ve always gone for the fix them all, not get too bothered by any twisting, and ram the noggins at a later date method. As long as it’s all tied together as one, the odd twist shouldn’t be too much of an issue should it?

So you’re fitting the noggin before the hanger at one end?

Yep that's it. I take it you don't make/measure each of your nogs individually effectively so you're doing the opposite to me and putting your hangers in 5mm off here and there, then cutting all your noggins at a standard size and twisting them back in tension against the hangers?

I'm probably over thinking it. I suppose the wood will try to twist in all random direcrions as the wood settles in over a few years .

I put my joists in, crack on, then at some point before boarding the ceiling, stick the nogs in. That’s also how I know others do it. Not saying you’re doing it wrong, just never really thought about it. Your method sounds good. To be fair, I don’t recall ever having any significantly twisted ceiling joists.
It’s for reasons like this that people go for pozi/composite joists... which I’d opt for in future I reckon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back