Fitting Outdoor Light Indoors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just checking before I get an electrician round.

After finding no wall lights that she liked, my girlfriend bought an outdoor light with the hope of fitting it indoors. It would be replacing an existing ceiling light. It does say not to wire to a lighting ring, is there a reason for this.

Sponsored Links
Without knowing what type of light the gf bought it is impossible to say exactly why, BUT there must be a very good reason. I would suggest taking it back and going with her to look for another(light that is) :)

The reason may be connected with outside lamps being more prone to damp causing earth leakage trips. The manufacturers may consider this is a good reason to not connect to the lighting circuit in order to allow indoor lights when the outdoor lamp cannot be connected due to it being damp.

Sponsored Links
Can't see why that can't be connected to a lighting circuit, inside or outside.

Does it actually say 'lighting ring'?

There's no such thing normally.

Can you print exactly what it says?

Hang on.

You want to fit that on the CEILING?

No, no, no. That's a wall light.

No no no I want to remove the ceiling light and fit this outdoor light in its place in the circuit. I don't have the instructions to hand but I remember it saying Fused Spur somewhere. I'll find them out later.

If you couldn't connect the light to a lighting circuit, you could connect to a socket ring or radial circuit, via a fused spur unit.

Is that what the instructions meant?

Do you mean there will be no ceiling light and you will have one wall light instead? I have lived in a room with similar arrangement (2 wall lights) and it was quite dark. After a couple of months we installed a ceiling light, which made a massive difference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back