Fitting Staybrite beadings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last night I found I couldnt unlock the back door, the key operated but the unlocking mechanism wasnt.
Much misery and cursing.
I managed to get the door out this morning by removing the glazing and the hinge pins, prising open a gap to reveal the two security pegs that locate into the hinge jam, then cutting them off with a hacksaw blade.

My problem now is refitting the beadings.
There is a white rubber bead on the inside and simple upvc beads on the outside.
Can any experts out there advise the process of refitting - ie whether you put the rubbers in before the external beads, or vice versa, or any other order?
I find whenever I try to fit the side bead, it pushes the top and bottom beads out of place slightly. It's really p***ing me off.
Thanks for any tips!

Sponsored Links
You put top and bottom beads first, then the sides. Then put the white back rubber in, using soapy water, if you find hard to push back in. Take care not to force the glass if caught on packers!!!. Pack in opposite corners if catching on bottom or top.

OK thanks, job done (I was forgetting to hook the little fin at the back of the bead into the door profile), but there's a waste of a day. :cry:

I took the long lock mechanism out, removed the covers and greased up all the moving bits, then it all started working again. Couldn't find anything wrong, so it's all back in now and feels so much smoother. :)

:idea: The moral is to try and notice when your locks/handles are getting stiffer, and then to deal with them before things end up damaged. A bit of grease makes such a difference! :idea:

Sponsored Links
From a personal point, i use pledge to spray all locking mechanism's and hinges. I did use wd40/silicon spray but the smell around the house after use put me off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back