Fitting subsitute lead flashing to a brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have a flat roof on my house (just purchased) which covers the kitchen sink. It has been done with felt with is cemented into the bricks which looks an absolute mess. To cover this I have managed to acquire some substitute flashing which I will have a go at installing in the next couple of weeks.

What I would like to know is once I have removed the pointing from where to insert the lead:

How far do I need to insert it into the brick

How do I finish the pointing?

Cheers

Jacka

//media.diynot.com/188000_187557_46117_78597100_thumb.jpg

188000_187557_46117_78597100_thumb.jpg

Sponsored Links
Cut the joint out about 30mm, make up a few lead wedges and fire them in.
You can repoint with sand/cement and finish with a bucket handle joint.
Another option is to use Lead mate, comes in tubes to fit skeleton gun.

If the 'substitute' is Ubiflex, sealer will need to be Butyl based, normal silicone LM bleeds the bitumen content out. Sand and cement would be fine also.

I've seen tapping bits of lead into lead flashing to keep it in place, but can you do that with substitute

Is lead mate butyl based?

Sponsored Links
Lead mate will bleed the bitumen out if its Ubiflex. There are a few lead substitutes that will do, Rapidflash is one, many made to look like lead.

Lead wedges will hold any in fine, but they need installing correctly to be effective.

Instead of lead wedges can I use the substitute to make wedges?

I'll check the make tonight when I get to the house!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back